Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Mass Storage Mode

It appears that there is no "mass storage mode" on the BB PB.  Don't know exactly what that is (and don't really care), but it appears to prevent the PB from interacting with Songbird or Doubletwist desktop apps for media syncing (these programs work with my BB Tour just fine).  Am I missing something?  Is there a way to use either of these programs (preferably Doubletwist) to sync media to the PB?  The BB Desktop Software leaves something to be desired (especially for videos).

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Mass Storage Mode

desktop manager has drivers for the playbook so mass storage mode will work

I have not been ford of desktop manager in teh past, but it is much better now.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

That's great news that desktop manager has drivers to allow for mass storage mode!  So how do I make sure that mass storage mode is activated so that doubletwist can see my playbook?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

download from here and install

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

once DTM see PlayBook, then try your app with mass storage mode

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Thanks for the prompt replies!  I already have BB Desktop Software v6.0 on my desktop (which can see my playbook just fine when I plug it in via USB). 

Where do I go to activate mass storage mode so that Doubletwist (or Mozilla Songbird) desktop can see my PB in the same way that it can see my BB Tour?

When I plug in my PB and open Songbird on my desktop, Songbird says:

Songbird has detected "Generic Mass Storage Device", but no storage is available at the moment. To enable access, select "Mass storage mode", "USB Drive" or similar option on your device.

There's something like 5GB of free space on my device.

Guru III
My Device:

It should show up as a drive letter on your PC once conncted.

What PC OS are you running?

Some times in disk manager you have to assign a letter to it. Windows 7 usually assigns it automatically.

Contributor

I'm using Windows 7.  The PB shows up automatically as Z:

Disk manager doesn't let me reassign it for whatever that's worth...

On this page: http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/webworks/api/blackberry.system.html it appears to say that mass storage mode is not in fact supported.  Perhaps that's why Doubletwist and Songbird desktop can't see the PB?

Guru III
My Device:

Ah well that makes more sense then, I guess mass storage mode is not supported and I learned something today.

I just assumed it was since it had a drive letter, my bad.

I dont know how else to assist, maybe another with similar issue can help.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

It's true that there is no "mass storage mode" support in the sense of the usual USB profile for that, which the OS would recognize automatically and which apparently those desktop apps use.

What happens with the USB file sharing is that an "NDIS driver" is installed, which lets the PlayBook and the desktop machine talk over the USB port using the Internet Protocol (IP), just as they do over WiFi.  If you check your network interfaces while connected you can see the new one for the PlayBook, probably assigned in the 169.254 network (usually used just for DHCP prior to you getting an actual address).  In this case, the PlayBook is actually acting as the DHCP server, assigning the address to your PC, rather than the other way around as you might expect.

Note also that file transfers appear to be significantly faster over this USB connection than they are with WiFi, at least for now.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

Yeah, I figured that the problem was related to it being a network-type connection.  The Playbook shows up under "My Computer" as a "Network Location" rather than as a "Device with Removable Storage" (which is where my BB Tour shows up). 

I think that it would be a good thing if the user had the option to switch the PB such that Windows sees it as a "Device with Removable Storage" so the PB could work with existing programs (that blackberry phones and android devices etc can work with).  A little more compatability would go a long a way.  Instead it seems that I'm stuck with BB Desktop Manager which leaves a fair amount to be desired as far as media (esp. video) syncing (which as a consumer and not enterprise user is what I'm concerned with).

Thanks for all of your prompt replies.