Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Media Sync trying to be clever and failing completely - Desktop software 7.1 is useless.

In my mind, media sync should mirror the folder structure from my PC on to my Playbook. I tried syncing my music folder and the Blackberry desktop software 7.1 decided to start messing around with my folders and renaming them on the playbook image.

e.g PC has a folder called My Music\Massive Attack\Heligoland with 10 MP3 tracks in it. After running media sync, the media sync software only copied two of these tracks and decided to put them in a completely new folder it invented called 'Compilations'. the other 8 tracks are nowhere to be seen. 

the software did this with quite a few tracks and doesnt mirror my PC folder structure at all. 

The whole concept of synchronisaton is to mirror the primary device, not to try to be clever and fail badly.

I wont even think about going there with syncing my pictures or documents.

Now I have to do a full delete of MUSIC on the playbook and do a full copy from my PC each and every time I want a mirror image sync to the playbook.

Is my concept of media sync so outlandish?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Media Sync trying to be clever and failing completely - Desktop software 7.1 is useless.

[ Edited ]

Sync takes four times as long on mine that wifi sharing drag and drop, both music and photos. Playbook folder structures are limited. I recommend the manual approach. 

Re: Media Sync trying to be clever and failing completely - Desktop software 7.1 is useless.

wifi or USB direct copy or media sync are all unbelievably slow. best I get is 2MB/s so can take 3 hours to copy over 8GB. A real pain when I have to do this weekly due to media sync being unusable.
Forums Veteran I

csiman wrote:
wifi or USB direct copy or media sync are all unbelievably slow. best I get is 2MB/s so can take 3 hours to copy over 8GB. A real pain when I have to do this weekly due to media sync being unusable.

Oh I agree, it can be slow depending on how good a wifi connection you have, but I am just saying direct manual copy is quicker, and next time you add music or photos you just add the new ones which is quite fast.

fair enough but all connections seem to be 2MB.s max suggesting a really poor playbook design. To sync properly, I need to delte & add again hence the 2-4 hours transfer weekly. I wouldn't recommend a playbook to anyone judging on the ludicrous media sync functionality tbh.
Forums Veteran I

jarviser wrote:

...... I am just saying direct manual copy is quicker, and next time you add music or photos you just add the new ones which is quite fast.

I understood what you meant but that wont keep them PC / PB in sync as it wont account for any renamng or deletions (I change my music around a lot Smiley Wink )