Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780

My PB won't boot up!

I have just updated my PB software and now it won't work. Initially it would switch on, have the Blackberry screen that changes colours and that's it. It does just that for up to an hour. I pressed the reboot buttons (power button & + - vol buttons), it switched off but now it won't switch on. The red light blinks twice every 30sec or so but it still won't switch on, I've even put it on charger overnight, no difference. 

1 of the forums here said to back it up and reset to factory default using the updated desktop software. I can do that but it will not allow me to back up anything and I need certain pictures in the camera folder.

I've had this for almost 2yrs and it has never done this, HELP!!!

It's just a bad day, not a bad life. Cheer up!
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Re: My PB won't boot up!

Bad spot to be in. The bad news is that you will likely loose those pictures. The better news is that there shoul'd be a way recover your PlayBook. 

First I would plug in my wall charger. You unit at this point may of may not be charged. We don't know.  

2. Press and hold the power off button for a few seconds to turn it OFF. (As for rebooting from scratch, unless you are using an old - pre 2.0.x.xxx operating system you do not have to worry about holding the + and - as well.) When the unit is off and charging the led should blink red. When fully charged it should turn green. 

There is info on this board how to "debrick" PlayBooks.  Do some research. But to do anything you need power first and of course a strong wifi signal later. People had problems like yours before after updating their OS. I assume a lost wifi connection during upgrade could be the culprit. 

New Contributor

**bleep**! My wifi did indeed go down while updating software. Thank you for your response, will give it a try.

Super Contributor

If you have a backup on your PC, there is a writeup somewhere on this board for a suggested procedure that may work for you. But again you need your battery full of juice.  The USB connection is not sufficient to provide enough power to a unit low on juice. 

Good luck!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the post by knottyrope re. the thread "memory problem".  Here is the recovery of PlayBricks usign your PC.

Knottyrope wrote:

First I would like you to do a Back Up of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Cheers 

New Contributor

Hello!

I finally updated the software on my PB the way you advised, it switched on but will not go past the PlayBook splash page with all the colours changing. I pressed the off button for 20sec, it went off. I switch it on again and still won't go past the splash page.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks