Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook with OS 2.0
My Carrier: N/A

My PlayBook not showing up on my PC?

Hello,

I got a PlayBook yesterday as a present from my dad and am lovin' it! Smiley Happy But when I connected it to my PC today and followed the usual instructions, it still didn't work for me- the BB Desktop Software showed the details (such as name and OS) of the device, but wouldn't allow me to sync anything.

What I did:

1. I plugged in my PlayBook and istalled the drivers (by double-clicking the CD icon on My Computer and running Setup.exe).
  2. I downloaded BB Destop Software and installed it (version 6.1.0.36).
  3. I connected my PlayBook.

After I connect my PlayBook:

The BB Device Manager showed up, and listed my PlayBook under Connected Devices as BlackBerry PlayBook 50324AA2, and under that, the IPv4 address and time connected. Under the PlayBook entry, there's an expandable entry called "Volumes". It shows "Internal Volume Not Mounted" and every-time I right-click and select Mount, it won't mount (or even do anything else).

Under BB Desktop Software, I can't open up Files, Music, Video, Photos nor Backup. It just shows "A Problem Occurred While Attempting To Connect To Your BlackBerry Device".

I tried:

1. Starting the TCP/IP NetBios thing in Services (but it was already started).
  2. Disabling my antivirus (AVG).
  3. Reconnecting my PB several times.
  4. Disabling Wifi and Bluetooth.
  5. And my File Sharing is enabled on PB.

It doesn't even show up as a Network device.

So can anybody help me with this? Thanks in advance..

My BlackBerry 10 apps: Roshnal Lihinikadu
Lots more coming up!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: My PlayBook not showing up on my PC?

Try the following and let me know the results

The following settings need to be enabled in the Research in Motion Network Driver connection located under Network Connections:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
To enable this setting in Microsoft® Windows® XP, please complete the following steps.

Go to Control Panel in Windows
Select Network Connections
In the LAN or High-Speed Internet window, select and right mouse click on the Local Area Connection that is detected as Research In Motion Network Device
Select Properties after doing a right mouse click
Ensure Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) are checked
To enable this setting in Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Vista®, please complete the following steps.

Go to Control Panel in Windows
Select Network and Internet (in Category View, if in Small or Large icons view, go to the next step)
Select Network and Sharing Centre
Under View your active networks, choose the alternative Local Area Connection x (Access type: No Internet access) that is detected as the Research In Motion Network Device
In the next window for Local Area Connection x Status, select Properties
Ensure Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) are checked
Developer

I tried what you said, and observed these:

1) When I just connect my device and goto the Network and Sharing Center and view the Properties of the Local Area Connection x like you said, all the said checkboxes are checked and its identified as RIM networking device. No problem here.

2) But when try to mount the device using BB Device manager and then do what you told, the properties window just hangs up and keeps on hanging up.

Lots more coming up!
Forums Veteran I

Have you tried a reboot of both your computer and PB?
If you think you have to reinstall the DM, you have to uninstall the original installation by using the Windows Add/ Remove Program Utility followed by a reboot, otherwise it may not completely remove the original DM Driver.
Developer

Yeah I tried both.. And do I really need to reinstall DM?

I tried using connecting the PB while in Ubuntu, and I can easily access it using the IP address of my PB. So why can't Windows detect it? I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

Please help! Its really bugging me off..

Lots more coming up!
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi there, use the built in Over the air software updates to update your device to update to OS 2.0.1.358. You will need to restart your device afterwards. Whilst your device is turned off, plug it via USB into your computer, and turn on your playbook. Your computer should then install the correct drivers succesfully and automatically, and it should be detected in BDM.

----------------------------------------------------------------
"When in doubt, try another hole"
Forums Veteran I

Find and Read both these BlackBerry Knowledge Base articles.KB27204 and KB26904.
Developer

Hi, I have already updated it the moment I got and its running OS 2.0.1.358 right now. So is there any option for me without reinstalling the update? Like, if I just turn off the device, connect it to my PC, and then turn on the device? Will it then recognize it?

Lots more coming up!
Forums Veteran I

Try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Orange UK

When the playbook is off, plug it in, and turn it on. look on your computer to see if it is searching for drivers. it should do. You do not need to reinstall the update.
----------------------------------------------------------------
"When in doubt, try another hole"