Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook with OS 2.0
My Carrier: N/A

Re: My PlayBook not showing up on my PC?

[ Edited ]

Nope, didn't work... Tried the two KB articles said above and what @AdamW (its actually the same as one KB article). But still Windows won't detect the PB. I get the initial PlayBook page in DM, but I can't use Music, Video nor Photos.

My BlackBerry 10 apps: Roshnal Lihinikadu
Lots more coming up!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

This is copied from another poster who had the same problem as you.
Re: Update and unable to access my playbook on my PC [ New ]
Options
2 hours ago

Like many others who updated the PB with RIM's latest Update, my PB lost its ability to communicate with my PC. After many W7 Restores and various other attempts to have my PB talk to my PC I can finally report success which I achieved by accident.

MY DVD burner had simutaneously failed but I had considered this coincident incident to be unrelated to the PB problem. At this time neither the PB nor the DVD was displayed in W7 Explorer. In browsing through W7 Device Manager I discovered that BOTH the PB and my

DVD were listed under "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and BOTH devices showed the same error Code 39.

Mine is not to reason why..... but, using the W7 Device Manager I Uninstalled the PB, and using W7 Control Panel I uninstalled the Blackberry Device Manger. I then used Microsoft Fix It, which I had previously downloaded and installed, to successfully repair the DVD driver. Flushed with success, I connected the PB to the PC with the USB cable.

Lo and behold said the blind man, the PB and PC hugged each other and I could now see the PB in W7 Explorer. This of course allowed me to install the PB Blackberry Device Manager 7.0 which was listed in the \Drivers folder.

Postscript: In revisiting W7 Device Manager I have noticed that the PB now has its
individual place of honor as it is now listed separately under the root directory as
Blackberry\Blackberry Smartphone. It also has two drivers that are different from the DVD device.
Developer

I checked out my Device Manager, and these are all the entries I can find related to BlackBerry:

1. A "BlackBerry Smartphone" is listed under a new category called BlackBerry (which isn't there when the PB is disconnected).
  2. A "Research In Motion Network Device" is listed under Network Adapters.
  3. "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM25) (and another similar entry with COM26) is listed under Ports (COM & LPT).

That's all.. All other devices are as they were.

Lots more coming up!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve 9330/Playbook
My Carrier: verizon

Roshnal wrote:

I checked out my Device Manager, and these are all the entries I can find related to BlackBerry:

1. A "BlackBerry Smartphone" is listed under a new category called BlackBerry (which isn't there when the PB is disconnected).
  2. A "Research In Motion Network Device" is listed under Network Adapters.
  3. "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM25) (and another similar entry with COM26) is listed under Ports (COM & LPT).

That's all.. All other devices are as they were.

Trusted Contributor

The above worked for me and I just unmapped and tried again and it still works... This is the best way to get your desktop or computer to see the playbook when it does not show up automatically.

The initial view on the network drive will be by IP address but yuo can rename it to whatever naming format and convention you use as well as to any drive designation..

Please let us know if this works for you.. or if you have any problems... Wish i could take credit for this but was provided by another forum contributor..

Developer

I can't connect to WiFi on my PlayBook (there's no WiFi in my home), but when I connect the USB cable and do what you told, Windows says it can't find the IP address specified. But, I can ping it from the command promt and get a response in <1second.

So still back to square one..

Lots more coming up!
Trusted Contributor

Ok that makes sense then...Sorry for not paying attention earlier. When you connect through a USB the only network connection recognized is the equipment the the PB is plugged into. It will not under current design be recognizeed as a stand alone piece of equipment.

it can only have a UNIQUE ip address if it connects directly to the router either through Wifi or ethernet. Since it is connecting through the USB cable it will only see that IP and the PB is not recognized as a standalone driv.e otherwise the Desktop manager can be replicated by a variety of other back-up , sync, and/or transfer applications.

I could be wrong and if I am someone will correct me and/or modify my comments..

Developer

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the explanation! Smiley Happy I didn't know it worked that way..

I do have a wireless ad-hoc connection set up between my PC and my NetBook (which is running Ubuntu). Maybe I can connect my PB into it? Currently the ad-hoc wifi doesn't show up under WiFi in Settings on my PB, but if there is a way, then I will be able to do it, right?

Lots more coming up!
Trusted Contributor

As long as both pieces of equipment are on the same network and/or the IP address of the PB is an open network IP address there are ways to do it.

I strongly suggest that both pieces of equipment (PB and Laptop or desktop) be on the same network.

Again someone might be able to get the PB to appear as a separate drive using the USB, but I have never been able to.

I have always just been able to do it through the Desktop Manager using the USB.

Good luck.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I was able to get to the playbook, but then it wanted a user name and password.  I used the used the username in the Network information, but there is no password.  Any thoughts?  This is great if I can get it to work...Peace, Rick