Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

My app world is not working

Hello, I upgraded the app world on my playbook but now all i get is the background of the new app world, and there is nothing else to do. Can anyone help me?

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: My app world is not working

I'm experiencing the same problem. For about a week, I've been receiving a prompt to update whenever I would open my App World app. If I declined to update, my App World app would close automatically. If I opened the app again, I would be asked to update. Today, I decided to update so I could use App World but now the app is stuck on the pink/purplish wallpaper (which I've been told, is the original OS App World wallpaper.) App World doesn't work now. Smiley Sad

Using a 32gb PB.

My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: VIP MK

Same here, for a couple of days now...  I even made a securty wipe on the device and tried again, and again it asked me to upgrade the app world, but nothing only the purple background and nothing else... I am so angry with RIM right now Smiley Frustrated...

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 4G LTE 32GB
My Carrier: None

[ Edited ]

This is apparently happening to Playbook owners who don't use a cellular connection - App World fails if it can't determine which carrier you are bound to.

Why would I pay for a second account when I can pass through my phone?

I'm super-irritated about this - a mandatory update that breaks my tablet. Worse, I did a wipe to try again and now I can't even reload my old apps.

I've tried using my phone's SIM, but the Playbook wants an unlock code and my carrier was unable to give me one - they don't sell PlayBook, so they don't have the code generator utility, to do it.

A generic code generator won't work either, because you need the IMEI and MEP code. There's no way to get the MEP code off a Playbook - they never finished coding the engineering screen.

Happy customer? Not so much. I was so on the bandwagon for the BB10 launch, and they keep finding new ways to make me regret that.

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

^ I'm not using an LTE playbook. I have a regular 32GB PlayBook which doesn't have a cell carrier. I have heard that LTE PlayBooks are having this problem but why are regular PlayBooks also affected? Smiley Mad

I really hope BlackBerry is working on a fix for this.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 4G LTE 32GB
My Carrier: None

>I really hope BlackBerry is working on a fix for this.

Do they bother to at least skim their forums? I only showed up here to complain because I'm not forking out $49 for per-incident support to hear them tell me there's no fix and it's not their fault so they're not refunding me.

I'd rather ditch the Playbook and move to another tablet.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold9900 & playbook
My Carrier: T-kom

Dear community

I've got the same problem with my playbook: purple background after trying to update app world

No idea what happened but it seems to be a basic problem regarding the fact that a couple of you guys discribe the same phenomenom!

Does anybody know whether RIM takes care about our complainments or even notices these posts?

I couldn't find any reaction to this issue.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Must be affecting certain countries or certain playbooks. No update required and no problems with app world for me. Wifi playbook in UK.

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Hi everyone, it seems we are all having he same problem. For those who didn't a security wipe don't do that, because you will loose all your apps and data and you won't be able to download them again. This is what happened to me.

I will see how and who we can contact from the RIM and hopefully get a solution for this problem.

I don't know why i should have a network provider, it was working before without a network provider and it should be workingnow too.

If i found any solution i'll get back to you.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Please read my post before yours. We are not all having the same problem. Some people are. I just said there is no problem in UK on wifi-only tablets. You should ask posters on here to identify their country, provider,  and playbook model before making such a statement. Try to find out if it is related to location or provider

believe me, even with the shrinking user base, if app world was broken tbere would be pages of posts here.