Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Blackberry Playbook and Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Best Buy

My playbook wont connect to my pc

Can someone help me fix this problem

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: My playbook wont connect to my pc

connecting via wifi or USB?

What PC OS?

if on windows 7 connect to PC and wait a few minutes as the drivers can take 5 min to install.

What version of BlackBerry Device manager is installed? 7.0.0.40 is latest one. uninstall old one if needed

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900, PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm assuming you are trying to connect via USB.  I had the same problem on my own PB as well.  My PC has USB 3.0 ports the Desktop Software and PB simply wouldn't talk.  I found that using a USB 2.0 port works much better.  Are you getting any errors or anything you can provide detail about?

Highlighted
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

These steps work for me on Windows 7 Home Premium for simple file sharing on the network:

1)  Click on gear icon, top left of interface beside the power indicator and Wi-Fi indicator

2)  In the settings list you see, scroll down to find Storage and Sharing. Tap on Storage and Sharing.

3)  Ensure USB Connections is set to Automatically Detect

4) Under Network Identification Properties, give your tablet a network name (call it anything you wish). Under Workgroup, type in the name of your COMPUTER'S Workgroup. Typically it is called Workgroup. If you don't know how to find this on Windows 7, try this link from Microsoft

Also, under Username, type in the name of the ACCOUNT you have setup on the COMPUTER. This account may or may not have Administration rights on the PC. It is preferrable that this account does have admin rights.

5) Click Back button

6) Under File Sharing, slide from OFF to ON. Remember to shut this off after you have successfully transferred files to your Playbook to ensure others can not access your Playbook files somehow. Notice how you can also share files over Wi-Fi in the slider directly below this. I would suggest you go to YouTube and watch a video on how to do this. It's really simple and works well. Though I personally had a problem with passwords and that is why I am not elaborating about it here.

7) Plug in USB cable into the tablet and into your PC.

8) You may or may not have the Blackberry Desktop Software installed. It may or may not launch automatically. If it does, just cancel it. It will be persisitent and try to launch so you may have to cancel out a few times.

9) There will be a dialogue box on your Playbook that mentions you're connecting to a PC and there will be a box to dismiss. Just dismiss the dialogue box.

10 On your PC, run a Windows Explorer window and find your Network Tree. Expand the tree and you will see the name of the PC there. Eventually (like after 3-5 minutes) you will see the name of the Playbook there. Once you see the name of your Playbook in this tree, you can expand the Playbook and you will find all kinds of media type folders. Copy/paste or move files accordingly into the appropriate folder. 

11) There is no Safely Disconnect feature for the Playbook in Windows. Simply unplug the cable to the PC first and then the Playbook second when you're done tranferring files.

12) Remember to shut off file sharing on the Playbook again as you did in step 6.

13) You're done...grab a drink, enjoy your Playbook once more...

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Orange

I also have had a problem connecting my Playbook to my PC. I followed the instructions listed here and got to the final stage fine but the laptop again did not recognise the Playbook and so presumably this is why it failed to show up under the Networks 'tree', even after waiting a good 10 minutes. I was wondering if you or anyone else had any ideas about what the issue could be as i've tried everything and nothing has seemed to work.