Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810 and PlayBook 32G
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Native Contacts and Calendar Issues

I can't seem to find my way around this. When I set up an appointment using the PlayBook Local calendar I can't send an invite to other attendees, I receive a message saying the account does not have an associated email account. I have a Gmail and Hotmail account connected to my PlayBook so I'm unsure what it's asking for. When I set an appointment using my gmail account I don't even have an attendee option. The other issue is that when I accept a Facebook event it doesn't recognize the other attendees as people in my contacts. This means they may show up as a person I'm meeting that day but if I select them I can't see any future meetings. After changing my FaceBook email from an old address to my current email I no longer can see any FaceBook events on my PlayBook, which is even more frustrating than the other issues.
With the native contacts app I put in my own information and my 2 email accounts and LinkedIn accout were all recognized and linked, however my Facebook and Twitter acounts were not found. Furthermore, I can not add those accounts to my contact card manually. I've had similar issues not being able to manually add a LinkedIn account to a contacts information. Is this a glitch or something I'm doing wrong?

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Native Contacts and Calendar Issues

Can you try removing all your accounts from the tablet add one at a time, but test each account before adding the next?  Not sure why its not working, but those are a lot of variables to sort throguh.

Thanks for the suggestion @Wolf359. Unfortunately, it was not successful. I removed all my accounts then restarted my PlayBook. I then added each account separately I still have no Facebook events in my calendar although my contacts work and I still don't know what kind of email would work for the PlayBook Local calendar. 

Highlighted
Forums Veteran III

Which email account is linked with facebook?

My Gmail is connected to Facebook. Used to be a yahoo account but I got rid of that one.
Forums Veteran III

Gotcha. Do your facebook events sync with your gmail calendar on gmail.com?

As a matter of fact they don't. I haven't used Gmail as a Facebook account before. Is there a way to change this?
Forums Veteran III

Does this help?

http://www.insidefacebook.com/2009/02/15/how-to-sync-facebook-events-with-google-calendar/

My Device: curve 9330/Playbook
My Carrier: verizon

Facebook calendar will not sync directly with PB. Several people have moved thier calendar events directly to google or to a provider that corrects directly to PB.

If you are comfortable with your data being on a cloud service google seems to be the easiest service to use.

Yahoo and MSN also work.

PB will only sync to ONE service for calendar and contacts and is associated with the primary account used for email.

The ability to chose one service for primary email and another for calendar and another for contacts. The primary email account is used for calendar and contacts.

Once identified and sync'd the system and the process work extremely well.

Contributor

Well, it turns out that I was just being impatient. After about 24 hours all of my Facebook events showed up on my PlayBook's native calendar and I haven't had any further issues. I'm beginning to think that the local calendar will not be useful until there is a 3G/4G PlayBook. Because of the inadequacies of Google I've switched (actually still in the process) from Gmail to a MSN @live account. This allows me to and attendees to calendar events, invite said attendees,  and with Outlook keep my phone and PlayBook synced without having to remember to add events in both devices. Hopefully this will all be unnecessary when BlackBerry 10 comes out.