Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Native Email Won't Recognize Most Gmail Contacts, Unlike on Torch...

[ Edited ]

Although I don't have all of my email contacts saved in my Torch, when I go to type in an email address, my torch always prompts me with a bunch of contacts from my Gmail, which start with that letter.  

So, for instance, If I typed in "t", up would pop suggestions like "terry_l@gmail.com" or "t_bird@hotmail.com", or what have you.  And that was regardless of the fact that I didn't have their names stored in my Torch address book, but just that Gmail knew them and would recognize them.

So, I bought a Playbook yesterday and without the Bridge - because I don't want to have to always rely on my Phone for remembering addresses - how do I import those same contacts into my native Playbook email app just like it works in my native Torch app?

It's just like Gmail.  When I type in a letter, it prompts me with a whole bunch of suggestions with addresses starting with that letter.  It has progressed onto my Torch, but now when I type in a letter on my Native Playbook email app, it comes up with no suggestions, and I have hundreds of contacts and barely any of them are saved in my Torch, and I don't know any of their addresses.  I just usually type the first letter of their name and it usually pops up right away.

How can I make this happen on my Playbook?

Thanks.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Native Email Won't Recognize Most Gmail Contacts, Unlike on Torch...

[ Edited ]

IF the contacts are in your gmail (webmail) account contacts, and if you have the gmail set up in Playbook to sync contacts, they will appear in Playbook as a maintainable copy of the webmail contacts. They can be maintained from Playbook or on webmail Gmail.
Suggest you transfer them from your phone to Gmail on the web.
I don't attempt to maintain them in Playbook only. Too easy to lose them.

I don't think you understood my question entirely correctly. 

I have synced all my contacts on my Playbook from Gmail (apparently), but when I go to type in an address, there is no suggestion prompts, like there are in Gmail and on my Torch.  That one feature hasn't seemed to move over to my Playbook.  It's there in my Bridged email, but not in my native email.  

I know my friend's name is Andrew, but I don't know his address.  So when I type in "Andrew" Gmail, both on my computer and on my Torch, prompts me with a bunch of suggested addresses containing "Andrew".  The same thing goes for typing in "A" and see "Andrew" prompted.

So what do I do to get those same prompts to show up in my Native Playbook Email?

Thanks.

Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

It's how mine works so don't know why yours doesnt.  I only use Hotmail but once they are in Playbook Contacts it should work the same. Have you got suggestions turned off in any email or contacts or general settings? I can't check as my PB is on loan this week.

regan4000 wrote:

I don't think you understood my question entirely correctly.  

I have synced all my contacts on my Playbook from Gmail (apparently), 

That is what you didn't make totally clear, thanks for clarifying. Not sure why you say "apparently" - are all the contacts there if you click on the Contacts app?

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I can barely use my Native Email on the Playbook seeing as it recognizes 1% of my contacts, even though it's apparently merged.  

With Bridge and Gmail, I type a letter, and a selection of addresses in my contact book starting with that letter pop up below and I can easily select who I'm emailing.

Why can't I do this on the Native Playbook App?  It's VERY frustrating.  

I have to use my Bridge to write emails every time.  It's almost as if this thing still doesn't have a worthwhile native email.  

What am I doing wrong, if anything, and what can I do to fix it?  

Again, I can barely use my native email app because no address prompts show up when I go to type in an address. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Using Unlocked Passport, VZW Classic, Two Z10's, Playbook, Q10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless, AT&T MVNO Consumer Cellular

Sorry to tell you, but for this to work the way you want, I think you will have to have all of your Google Contacts actually entered as Contacts.  What you might be experiencing is recent people you've emailed.  How do you expect the Playbook to know people you've emailed on other systems?

I'm pretty sure you need to put those people in your contact list, then they should sync up with Google Contacts.

John Hanks
Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

It shoud work that way. It does with my contacts that sync from my hotmail webmail. There is no need to enter them if the email is set up to sync with the webmail that contains them. In that case you MUST have them in your webmail online contacts.  If you have gmail that you share with phone playbook and occasionally a computer then the web is the best place to hold contacts and sync them with mobile devices ike playbook.

It does not matter which account "from" I choose, if I type in "su" it shows me all my Sues, Susans, Sutcliffes, etc from contacts in playbook. If I add a contact into Playbook it syncs and adds it to webmail.

I did ask the OP a question but there was no reply. we can only help if missing information is given. 

Again, regan4000, if you go into Contacts from the main screen (next to messages and calendar) are all the contacts in the Playbook?  Do not bridge whilst doing this. 

Thanks for the reply, but you didn't understand me at all.

It's my Gmail contacts.  They sync up fine on my Torch, but not my Playbook.  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jarviser, no, only my Torch contacts are in my Playbook Contacts.  My Gmail address book is not incorporated, but neither is it on my Torch.

Quite simply, when I use my torch and type in a letter, in prompts me with a whole bunch of suggestions.  These are my Gmail contacts showing up.  

I understand that they're not in my Torch Contacts, but they still show up every time I type in an email address, so how do I make the same thing happen on my Playbook?  It seems like it should be quite simple.

It works fine with Bridge, but obviously it's using my Torch.  But regardless, why isn't it working on my Native Playbook Email if it works flawlessly on my Native Torch Email?

Now what?

Thanks.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

regan4000 wrote:

Jarviser, no, only my Torch contacts are in my Playbook Contacts.  My Gmail address book is not incorporated, but neither is it on my Torch.

Quite simply, when I use my torch and type in a letter, in prompts me with a whole bunch of suggestions.  These are my Gmail contacts showing up.  

I understand that they're not in my Torch Contacts, but they still show up every time I type in an email address, so how do I make the same thing happen on my Playbook?  It seems like it should be quite simple.

It works fine with Bridge, but obviously it's using my Torch.  But regardless, why isn't it working on my Native Playbook Email if it works flawlessly on my Native Torch Email?

Now what?

Thanks.

I think that what you are trying to do is to get all the contacts that are on your Torch into the Playbook, but they are not necessarely in your gmail account.

What I am understanding is that when you type a letter using the bridge all of the contact that are on the phone are available, but if you are not using the bridge there are some contact that are not on your gmail account(s)

The way that the bridge was design, think security here, you can not transfert contact from the phone to the Playbook, and when you are using the bridge e-mail program, you are using the phone program and not the Playbook program, that is why when you are using the Playbook e-mail program it can not see some of the contact because they are not on your gmail account(s)

If that is the case, then you have two (2) choices

1) you can enter them manually on the Playbook one by one

2) you will have to make them available some how on your gmail account(s)

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin