Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
HNG
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: None

Native app icons lost

[ Edited ]

Here's one that's likely come up before, but i've tried all the previous solutions i've found and none have worked.

I was moving apps and folders about, when two became stuck together, overlapped. Didn't know why. I deleted the folder, in an attempt to get the apps to empty out into the grid. The folder just vanished, taking with it Camera, Photos, Videos, Youtube Videos, and a couple of App Store apps, which I easily reinstalled.

The native app icons, I apparently can't get back. The apps themselves are still there, I can run them by going through other apps (File explorer > Photos > Camera, for example) but it's a huge hassle and really irritating.

I have done:

Searching all around, seeing if the folder/apps were in a weird spot or on any of the screens or etc. They're not there.

A soft reset

A hard reset

An update check

Attempting to update to beta 2.1 (it won't work right now apparently)

Backup/wipe/restore.

The backup and wipe was what I did last: wiping it properly (wipe, close, plug in while turned off, bbds asks me quickly if i want to update or retry or etc) brought back all my icons but it also shoved me back to factory settings.

So then I tried the restore from the backup, thinking maybe it would just leave the icons in and bring my old settings back. It left all the frontloaded apps I had originally deleted (NFB, the net radio thing) on from the wipe, and did restore my settings, but the restore removed all the app icons that had been in the missing folder, I suspect because it restored the folder structure, which leads me to believe that it's actually still there. I just can't get to it.

The native apps work. But because they're undeleteable you can't actually redownload them, there's no way to get the icons back that I have found. Basically the folder is invisible and inaccessible.

Is there a way to tool with the dashboard folder structure from another interface?

Do I really have to wipe it and start from scratch and reinstall everything and all my preferences?

Is there an easier solution to this? I've contacted support by a couple of different means but there's been no reply.

HNG
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: None

Re: Native app icons lost

I do hope this gets solved at some point, but at this point I'm giving up, as I've realised that a wipe permawipes all Android app settings and data, and I lost 2Gb of stuff in the wipe that was supposedly backed up, as it just isn't restored to the device with other stuff. Got a 4GB backup that only restores 2GB of content.

Annoying as this is, I now have no excuse not to just wipe and reset, as my other media is easy to back up and apps can be redownloaded as usual from the store.

Blanking, starting over.

HOWEVER:

The above might be a good thing to let people know, especially if better Android support is coming in the next OS version.

And the other issue could be easily solved by just having the ability to view the dashboard folder structure in a different capacity.