Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900 Bridged to the Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: New Message Indicator?

Must have misunderstood my earlier messages... I wasn't suggesting that we remove the native apps such as the bridge icons, only simply deactivate the bridge, rebooting both devices and re-bridging both devices again in an attempt to clear the star icon.
If my response helps you correct any issue that you're having, award me a KUDO by pressing the Star below. Then press Accept As Solution.
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Hi gandre, yeah - that doesn't work. Smiley Happy Let's wait for one of our many updates Smiley Wink

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

I get stale message notifications fairly regularly on the Playbook using Bridge.  If all of my messages are read and the Playbook still shows a new message, I mark a message as unread, then mark it again as read and that usually clears the notification.  If it's an appointment notification, I usually have to acknowledge the appointment on the Blackberry instead of on the Playbook.

The icon to mark a message as read or unread is right in the middle of the screen on the bottom toolbar line.  It looks like two envelopes on top of each other, one yellow and one white.

I have never rebooted or reinstalled an update just to clear a message notification.

Developer

Hi Quila467,

Just to be clear - we are talking about the massages icon on the front screen, not the notification alerts themselves.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer

Hi Quila467,

Just to be clear - we are talking about the messages icon on the front screen, not the notification alerts themselves.

Trusted Contributor

I thought that's what the message notification was.  It's an envelope icon with a number beside it on the status line on the main screen.  The flashing red corner tells you when you have new messages, the envelope icon tells you how many unread messages you have.  That envelope icon often tells me I have unread messages when I don't.  I just explained how I clear that when it's not correct.

Developer

You're right, but some people are seeing a red star on the messages icon itself, which is stuck there. That's what this topic is about.

Easily misunderstood though. I don't think that too many are having trouble with the notifications in the top-left.

Trusted Contributor

The red star also disappears when I mark a message as unread and then read.

Sorry for replying in the first place.  I was only trying to help.

Trusted Contributor

I was just able to reproduce the problem I offered a solution for.  I'll describe it in detail here in case it is different that what the original poster was describing.

I just received a new email and read it on my Blackberry.  The Playbook continued to show a new message notification even though I had just read the message.  The notification consisted of a flashing red corner, a white dot with an exclamation point in it and the number 1 next to it, and a yellow envelope with a red star and the number 1 next to it.

I opened the Bridge email app and could see that there are actually no unread messages since I had read the message on the Blackberry already.  The upper left corner stopped flashing red after opening Bridge email, but the status bar was still showing the other notifications (the exclamation mark and the envelope with the red star).

I marked the email that I had read on the Blackberry as unread on the Playbook, then marked it again as read.  All new mail notifications were then cleared from the status bar.

This problem is intermittent for me.  Most of the time, the Playbook updates the status bar correctly.  Sometimes it doesn't.  It happens 2 or 3 times a day for me and I usually get around 150 messages per day.  Marking a message as unread and read is how I fix the status bar messages when they are incorrect.  Like I said earlier, I have never had to reboot or reinstall the OS to clear the new message notification.

Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook & Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quilla467 - Your method did work but now:

I have read all three emails and I now have, in the status bar, a gold coloured envelope with a '1' next to it. Clicking the envelope the message 'No new notifications for messages' appears.

When I highlight the three messages as Unread the count now shows as 4 in the status bar and the white circle and exclamation mark reappears. Clicking the white circle lists the three emails. I again read the emails and the white circle disappears leaving the gold envelope and '1' next to it.

How do I get rid of the gold envelope that simply says -  'No new notifications for messages' ?!

Peter H