Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telefonica

New Playbook - Software update

Hi I have just recieved a BB Playbook and have turned it on and connected to the internet. When I swipe to conitinue the Playbook goes into Software update and after a minute or so it says

Could not activate this tablet (3001)

Please try changing your settings

Settings

When I touch settings it just goes back to the connection screen and I do not know what settings to change.

It is a bit frustrating to have a new device and not to be able to use it

Contributor
My Device: 64Gig Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: New Playbook - Software update

Below is a copy&paste from another users fix. Give this a go...no credit to me. but figured I may as well give it another go. I was pretty shocked when ut actually worked! So here's the instructions for anyone who's having this problem: install the blackberry desktop software on your pc. connect your playbook t your pc, and make sure it's recognised by he software (if you're having this problem it'll probably pop up a message about the tablet not being registered and completing setup; ignore this ). Turn off the tablet. Hold down the volume up key, then hold down the power key. Keep holding down both. After a few seconds blackberry desktop (on your pc) should pop ip a dialog box with several options, one of which is "update". Click "update". Your playbook should now update then reboot into a factory reset state, and you can step through and complete the registration process I know that sounds like a lot of faff, I reckon it's well worth it. Only been using mine a few hours, but I'm very impressed. Lovely piece of kit
New Contributor

I think I have done as per the instructions-- I have installed Blackberry device manager on my computer- it knows that my playbook is connected to it but the Device manager is giving me an error message setup hasn't been completed for the connected device  ( complete setup) . The playbook still goes to software update and still give me the same error message.

My wife has a BB Torch 9860 and I have an iphone 4 - I think the BB is a better phone and was going to buy one however this experience has not endeared me to things Blackberry

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Was this a new playbook or pre-owned?

Brand new straight out of the book in all its original wrappings
New Contributor

Brand new straight out of the book with all the original wrappings etc

Forums Veteran I

You should have a tollfree support number for up to 90 days.

It just sounds strange to suggest going into settings on a new uninitialized playbook. If you can get into settings go to security and security wipe and start again. 

Thanks for your reply. I am living in Spain so where would I find the number I need to call?

I am locked into a 2 screen scenario-- first screen is the connect to wi-fi screen and the second is the error screen  which when I press 'settings 'takes me back to the Wi Fi connect screen and from there I cannot access settings???

Forums Veteran I

New Contributor

I really appreciate your help. I was onto support seems like it is my wireless router at fault- going to check that theory in one or two internet hotspots!!