Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
My Device: Priv, Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

New playbooks

Hi: 

Couple of questions. 

- Would anyone know when these are due to be relased? 

http://us.blackberry.com/where-to-buy/tablets.html

We need one a.s.a.p.. So, if they are not due out in the next week or two, we'll have to get something else.

- Also, is it possible to use a Playbook with a USB flash Drive (MUST be a usb flash drive & not a sd card or other) and can these hook up to a data projector?  In order to use this for PPT presentations?

TIA

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: New playbooks

I'm not sure if this is an updated version or just the current LTE version, however....

• USB Flash Drive is not currently supported. 
  • The only way to hook these up to a projector would be if the projector accepted HDMI input. 
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

Hiya!
I see you are with Bell, yet the link you posted is for US, this link should be where you need to be.
http://ca.blackberry.com/where-to-buy/tablets.html

Regarding the USB drive, I am not entirely sure what you are asking... there is no standard USB port on the Playbook, but if you hook it up to a PC with a flash drive, you can transfer files that way (or use Bluebox, which is a Dropbox client I personally use).
regarding the projector... I would assume it depends on the projector, I have seen it used with a bluetooth projector successfully.
cheers
-Raelic
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tx for the link to .ca  .. I had just gone to blackberry & pulled up Devices.. Playbook.. can't really control where it goes to from there.

I think they have hdmi ... so.. with the proper adaptors, it will be possible to hook the playbook to a data projector that has hdmi & then using an adaptor cord, hook a usb flash drive to it, correct?

We want to use it for presenters that come & go, & they bring their presentation on a USB flash drive & it is always in PPT.

The other problem is... when are these coming out? The Stores listed where you buy them, cannot answer this question as of yet.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

The 4g/LTE SIM carrying ones have been out for a couple of months, but not in all countries. Although some distributors offer them unlocked to any particular SIM provider,  I strongly recommend you get one with a 4g contract, which is why the where to buy list only shows cell phone providers. Unlocked ones in the grey market don't get upgrades which means they won't get BB10.

Not out in all Countries.. OH I see.. well Canada should always be first since this is where the BB was born! lol

We wouldn't get one with any sort of contract. If it can't hook up to the work wireless then we won't use the net.

It's just to carry around & hook up to data projectors for PPT presentations.  Out lap top broke & I thought I'd get a Playbook, instead. But since there are none to be found in this vacinity, I guess we'll have to give up on that idea & get something else.

Thanks

Super Contributor

"I see you are with Bell, yet the link you posted is for US, this link should be where you need to be.
http://ca.blackberry.com/where-to-buy/tablets.html"

So, the .ca site lists only 3 places you can buy & they are all carriers & none are in stock anyway. So, if we can only buy from a carrier & not in the bestbuy's & futureshop's like we could before, w/o needing a carrier, that totally blows the idea we had of using one for PPT presentations.  We can't have carriers .. there's no funds to pay for that sort of thing.

Oh well...

Forums Veteran I

That is correct, the reason... The 4G uses a SIM card just like your phone, which requires a data plan. That's why they are sold through carriers. If you didn't want a carrier, I would suggest getting the wifi-only model.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!

Super Contributor

I guess that's what we could do, get wifi only. Currently, I can't find these in stock anywhere.

Why would you want a SIM card on your tablet? I have the Playbook at home, & I can't think of a reason.
Forums Veteran I

So you could use the internet anywhere, instead of being restricted to wifi hotspots.
Personally, I just bridge my Playbook to my 9900 to accomplish the same thing... But some people would prefer it be stand-alone.