Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Re: OS 2.0

RIM with a BBX tablet running Andriod apps could be a "hot ticket". BBX for business and Andriod for play could work. But it needs a brilliant marketing guy with brillint plan.

I am retired, not interested in tbe job.
Solutions: 6,398
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

godot2011 wrote:

I am retired, not interested in tbe job.

But from all I can tell, you're as qualified as any currently in that position.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook 16gb
My Carrier: verizon

read other post for the Bold 9930 OS 7.1not everyone is getting it yet. maybe a provider thing who knows, but i can believe that everyone will not get the upgrade for the PB at the same time it would load there server up to either slow it down badly or shut it down

varick wrote:
read other post for the Bold 9930 OS 7.1not everyone is getting it yet. maybe a provider thing who knows,

Exactly, smartphone device operating systems are controlled by and released by the mobile providers. Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

The PlayBook OS is not held under any restraints of the mobile provider (there are none) and is simply released by RIM at will, when they choose, and in the past eight months, to all at the same time.

We'll see.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook 16gb

sanders, i agree with you on the on the PB having a stand along system but what happens if everyone tries to upgrade it at the same time. (just asking i am not a guru)
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

If that were to happen I don't think anyone would get V2, we'd all be fighting for access to the server. There is just so much capacity at one time. They're having enough problems with Appworld and registration servers I'd bet they know they can't let everyone get it at once. I doubt if they build their server capactiy to the level that would be needed for say 500,000 PB owners to get V2 at the same time, it would be waste of money for day to day use. They could very easily allow only certain pin number ranges access to the download server per hour or day to smooth out the level of server needs. Once a pin was allowed access it could retain access from that point onward so you wouldn't have to necessarily get it on that day. I'm betting on something like that.

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

Downloading a major SW update is always a nightmare when the servers are being hammered
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry PRIV
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

I have read on forums and news services that the "rumoured" release date is 17 Feb but it still astounds me that even after getting rid of the dead-weight CEOs RIM still havent learned that zero communication to their loyal customers is not a good strategy. We would rather have official communication with some information rather than nothing at all. The whole reason they lose traction to the so-called other smart phones is exactly because of their complete disregard for their customers and their inability to provide clear information around release dates. I am in South Africa and let me tell you it was next to impossible to get any firm dates out of any service provider here or even RIM as to when any of the 7.0 devices or the PB would be available here and due to that people just go with whatever device is actually available right then rather than wait for the "maybe"dates of RIM. Please wake up RIM!

varick wrote:
sanders, i agree with you on the on the PB having a stand along system but what happens if everyone tries to upgrade it at the same time. (just asking i am not a guru)

Right... but.

Previous Playbook OS updates of 200-300mb file size have always happened at one time, for all users, simultaneously. And I don't recall any issues with the servers for those upgrades.

But again, who knows. As another user posts here, there's been no word from RIM on anything official.

Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve 9330/Playbook

I have been following this thread for a while now and figured that I would throw my two cents in since we are in a "supposing" frame of mind.

For a moment I want to "suppose" from a corporate position. As a corporation I have several segments to consider:

1. Consumer - The consumer is critical and i must ensure that the consumer experience is one that excites, encourages and engages them to continue to stay with RIM. While I cannot satisfy every customer I want to achieve at least a "C" grade or better from the activity i want them involved in. "C" indicates that while not perfect the customer will most likely stay with me and I can do some sort of value added service to retain them.

2. Technical - I have to prepare for worse case scenario based on not just technical structure but human resources necessary for operational plans and contingency plans. There are a stream of "if - then" scenarios as a corporation RIm has to consider.  These scenarios require review of internal and external options and the costs associated with them.

3. Marketing/Communications - The corporation should cover communication of plans and processes from roll-out to service for the consumer while maintaining a positive company and product profile.

4. Finance - bottom line group looking to ensure a healthy profit margin. An efficient finance team is looking at short term and long term projections.

5. Sales - While last on this list they are looking to ride positive synergy from the release to sell product.

Each of these groups have different tolerances and different drives which may effect delivery dates...for example... in development the sales team might see the demo and love the product and say let's go I can sell that today...while the technical team might say it is not fully ready yet and in the mean time the consumer is pleading for more product/services.

We do not know what is going on behind closed doors, but i can see why there might be some delay on finalizing information outside of the boardroom..

With all of that being said let me say.... I want more product/services...and I want them now and not to have any issues with it when I get it...after all I am a consumer...

Just my two cents...