Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS update

knottyrope wrote:

It was mentioned at the BBWC11 during the Key Notes session.

Hey, I don't recall that. I've listened back to some of General Sessions, and haven't heard it again.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

I heard it and so did PC Magazine.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384757,00.asp

snip from link

BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will get updates at the startlingly fast pace of up to "every two weeks," RIM vice president of software Alan Panezic said at the BlackBerry World conference

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

[ Edited ]

Ok, that was not a keynote session, that article was published May 2nd before the conference actually opened.

Here's the whole quote from your link:

ORLANDO—The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will get updates at the startlingly fast pace of up to "every two weeks," RIM vice president of software Alan Panezic said at the BlackBerry World conference today.

"If we need to, we'll be cranking new capabilities for users every two weeks," he said.

(red highlighting is my addition)

So, maybe they don't "need to" this week. LIke I said earlier, there is no concrete evidence there will be a release today or every two weeks, although I am on the bandwagon hoping there will be! Smiley Happy

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I found that, but it was mentioned in the key notes. I only took BES sessions and would not have heard it from there.

But yes your red highlight does show the truth init.

Hopefully we will see many good things to come.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530 w/ Playbook

The browser is not that fast. Side by side to iPad2 the ipad is faster. But the iPad2 doesn't do flash.
I must admit that I was very hopeful that the desperately needed OS update was coming today, "Patch Tuesday". I sure want this product to be a success, but early adoption sure is painful sometimes. My Playbook experience is the same as my first Linux installation on a laptop 5 years ago some things worked some didn't a bunch of small programs thrown into a repository. But the Linux laptop was for play, my Playbook was bought for business. Linux is all I use today on my personal machines, but I only have a few weeks to wait for this device to mature no other OS choice to install on the PB like I could on the laptop. Cmon BB the evolution pace needs to be a lot quicker, communicate and support your base.
BB Curve 8530 paired with Playbook
New Developer
My Device: 9700

chrispycrunch wrote:

1.0.3.1975 is rumored to be released by the end of this month.

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but for a week now my PB has been claiming that 1.0.5.2130 is available.  But when I try to download off of WiFi I get an error and the Desktop Software claims there are no updates available.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

NormanF wrote:

chrispycrunch wrote:

1.0.3.1975 is rumored to be released by the end of this month.

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but for a week now my PB has been claiming that 1.0.5.2130 is available.  But when I try to download off of WiFi I get an error and the Desktop Software claims there are no updates available.

This 1.0.3.1975 update is not rumored to come out unless this guy is from RIM and it's a rumor circulating internally. I have been searching wildly for update news over the past month and I have not encountered anything.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

We'll be certain to hear users posting about the latest update when it comes, then there'll be a crackberry article about it, and hopefully RIM themselves with write a blog entry about the main feature improvements.

Since media is hungry to report anything new on the pb, I think RIM will only post about any new apps or features. I'm hoping they

1) make browser even more stable and capable of running twitter non-mobile

2) implement auto-correct

3) enhance battery life performance (i get between 4hr - 7hr.)
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Might as well throw my hat into the ring.

IF RIM are taking longer than two weeks because they're slamming so many updates into this release, then I'm happy to wait. I think that an update every two weeks is somewhat excessive and really wasn't looking forward to a 2-300MB download every fortnight.

However, my worry is that there won't be that many improvements and it will show that the initial pre-release pace of updates will have petered off.

I don't think that it would hurt for RIM to announce updates as they are nearing the end of packaging them up, with the fixes / upgrades that the PlayBook gets. In fact, it would only help to bolster their commitment to continually improve the product - which let's face facts - they MUST be doing as this OS is going to be on the 2012 smartphones.

In fairness, the last update did fix a few glitches that I noticed, namely Wifi dropouts were much more regular, the keyboard letters would shift off the side of the keyboard, and something else.

As long as there is a clear improvement in this one, I'll be satisfied that RIM is working in our interests. There's so much potential in this little flat-screen boy, just dying to be released...

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.

@crispy, re: your #1, you can already run the full twitter site, just use this URL below from the Playbook browser to select the full site:
http://mobile.twitter.com/settings/change_ui

Knowledge Base Updates