Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

OS version 1.0.7.2650 no WIFI Sharing

HI,

SInce I updated to OS version 1.0.7.2650, I can not connect to the Playbook using the WIFI, Windows 7 64 does not see it any more

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850 + Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS version 1.0.7.2650 no WIFI Sharing

On XP, after update to 1.0.7 existing network place was broken but simply recreating fixed it for me.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

WIndows 7 still does not see the Playbook, and it is named Playbook, but I was somehow able to access it using the IP from the router

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

On a Vista and XP box, my Playbook is no longer available via the Network window.  When I click on the icon with my Playbook's name, I get an error telling me the name is not recognized.

I renamed the Playbook and still no luck (same error).

I rebooted my router, PC, and Playbook and still had the same results (even though my router assigned a new IP address to the Playbook.

When I look at the 'Attached Devices' on my router (Netgear RP614) it shows the IP address but no device name.  Before the update, I was able to see the device name in there.

I can connect to my Playbook via the IP address either in a browser (file://[ip address] or via Windows explorer (\\]ip address]).

Since I can see the Playbook name in my Network window after I change it, I assume that the Playbook is properly broadcasting the name.  Since I can connect via the IP address, the connectivity seems to work.  Since I cannot ping the device or access it via the Network window tells me that perhaps the Playbook is no longer supplying it's name when obtaining an IP address.

It's not a show stopper for me since I can check for the IP address currently served to my Playbook to do remote file transfer, but that rather defeats the purpose of 'remote' file transfer if I have to check the device every time.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700/9900 - Playbook v2.0.xxx
My Carrier: Telus

Same here. Worked fine before this last update.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset

Have you tried since updating to 1.0.7.2670? If you are still running 2650, I would suggest updating first
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Developer

I'm running 1.0.7.2670 and the issue is there too. The Playbook is not providing the router with the device name when it requests an IP address.
Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

Deleting the playbook network place and recreating it did not seem to work for me. 

For a workaround you can map a network drive by right clicking on My Computer/Map Network Drive and enter the server name/folder like so:

\\99.99.99.99\meda

Where 99.99.99.99 the ipv4 address from the PlayBook Options panel (gear icon)  - click About / the select Network from the dropdown

Nate that this ip address will change from time-to-time if the ip is obtained automatically from the network (as it normally is).

Developer

I'm aware that the workaround works. My issue is that prior to this pair of updates, my router had the device name associated with it's IP address and now it doesn't. This is functionality that obviously broke with the update. I don't know if this is a problem specific to name/IP address association or if it's a symptom of larger wifi issue.

There are numerous posts about wifi connectivity issues that really need to be resolved. I wonder if there wad an attempt to fix something with wifi that inadvertently caused this problem.

I'd love to hear some statement from someone from RIM about their position on the wifi issue and this one in particular. Is RIM aware of this problem? If so, is a resolution on the roadmap for an upcoming update? It's embarrassing to be the only device unable to make a wifi connection in public. And now I need to manually track the address of my playbook you do wifi transfer? Given the ability for every other device to connect to b/g/n networks flawlessly, I don't think it's too much to ask to have wifi connectivity be seemless and invisible ti the user.