Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 16GB
Accepted Solution

Official PlayBook OS v2.0.1.668 Announcement and Breathing Life back into a Dead Battery

Where is it?!

Well, you can go to the software update page and discover that the only thing RIM indicates the update does is provide a security update for the Adobe Flash player,

http://ca.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/software-updates.html

The details can be found here.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB31675&sliceId=1&cmd=displayKC&d...

That said, it would appear speculation related to wifi and browser improvements (among other things) is very subjective and likely as varied as individual user experience. Here’s a quote from a Crackberry News & Rumours Post

http://crackberry.com/whats-new-playbook-os-201668

Frankly, this sort of commentary drives me crazy. What company would make the kind of improvements identified above without documenting them for their existing and future customers, if they were real. Is it that we're all so desperate for good news from RIM that we have to make it up? If anyone can find anything official behind the article's claims, feel free to post a link in response.

A couple things do still confuse me though. Some users are claiming that the new OS v2.0.1.668 version has been pulled. My Playbook upgraded to this update without any issue on the first try. Didn't take hours and the whole process seemed quite normal. Smooth as molasses.

Didn't notice anything weird at all until last evening, a few days after the upgrade. I pulled off the charger cable and looked at the battery and it was 0%, dead as a door nail. Perhaps the magnetic head of the fast charger wasn't seated properly. I turned off the Playbook and then attached the fast charger. Left it alone and went back about an hour later and it was still at 0%! It was acting like it was still losing charge and getting weaker. This is not typically the case, so I shut down wifi, turned off backlighting, put it into airplane mode and tried again. No change when I checked back later. At some points, I couldn't even get it to boot to the main screen, just battery empty symbol, at best.

I read on this and other forums how others were having problems after teh update. Erasing their Playbook and reloading OS. I couldn't even do that, because the Playbook has to have enough power to update the software through the Desktop. While I could connect and see the device via Desktop, there wasn't enough juice to do anything at 0%. It seemed that there were folks holding the battery button for 10-20 seconds claiming that worked, but it didn't do anything for me.

To say the least, I was getting pretty ticked off after reading the forum and discovering that the battery issue I was dealing with might be related to a pulled OS upgrade that had screwed my Playbook. Proper QA and testing should preventthis sort of blunder. Even more ticked, if the update has been pulled and RIM has not made any official statement that I can find to that effect! If they have pulled it (which I still haven't been able to personally confirm), this information should be publically available and explained. The one thing they need to do is look after any loyal customers they still have left. Personally, I have loved my playbook, although RIM has definitely botched a great piece of hardware with inadequate software enhancements to the OS, that continues to this day. The fact that we still can't categorize browser favorites in folders at this point is inexcusable. Anyway, I digress. Smiley Sad

Back to the battery. Here's what I did after about two hours of snarling and becoming increasingly frustrated with my dead playbook and not being able to find any way to breathe life back into it. I remembered what happens to my rechargeable batteries for my xbox controllers when they drain dead. They simply won't charge. They become un-rechargeable. I eventually figured out via an obscure internet posting, what no retail clerk or xbox support person seemed to know. I returned more than my share of brand new unrechargeable batteries, because they wouldn't charge when drained. This is what I discovered. You take the dead controller with battery and connect it to the charging cable. It lights red... but after 13 seconds it goes green. If you leave it connected it simply will not charge. Originally, I concluded I had a faulty battery that would not recharge. Not so. You must pull the cable off. Light goes out, connect it again. Light goes red, 13 seconds turns green. Pull the cable off. Light goes out, connect it again. Light goes red, 13 seconds turns green. Pull the cable off. Light goes out, connect it again. Light goes red, 13 seconds turns green. Pull the cable off. Repeat until you figure there is no point to this exercise, and then do it one more time. Pull the cable off. Light goes out, connect it again. Light goes red, 13 seconds later it stays red and doesn't go green, it stays red. Might be the 5th try, 20th try, 30th try, who knows, but eventually the xbox controller light will actually stay red and not switch to green and will then recharge. It's almost like each previous failed connection provides a bit more juice to the battery, until it has enough to finally be rechargeable again. Come back in a couple hours and what appeared to be an unrechargeable battery is fully charged.

So I took my Playbook, Turned it off. Connected cable. Light turned red, then turned green. Disconnected cable. Held power button to shut playbook off. Connected cable. Light turned red, then turned green. Disconnected cable. Held power button to shut playbook off. Connected cable. Light turned red, then turned green. Disconnected cable.  Held power button to shut playbook off. Connected cable. Light turned red, then turned green. Disconnected cable. Held power button to shut playbook off. Not sure how many times I went through this painful exercise. Maybe 15-20. Maybe I only needed to do it 5 or 10times. Maybe I didn't need to do it at all.

Frankly, in the course of doing it, it seemed like I was almost draining the battery more. I think there was a point where it almost was dead and wouldn't even light up. That had me spooked. By pressing and holding the on button and connecting the cable, I somehow got the red light to come on, then switch to green and it began pulsating. At this point, I didn't want to push my luck. Left it alone and went to bed. Got up this morning and it was alive and 100% charged. It went into an automatic reboot. The wifi password had to be re-entered and saved in order to get connected back to the internet, but everything else seemed to be fine.

I’ve used it solid for one hour and the battery dropped to 80%. This felt like a much faster drop than in the past. It's been in standby mode for an additional two and a half hours since and it is now at 60%. I never shut my PlayBook off. I keep mine in standby all day, with the screen on lowest brightness and wifi typically on. Do I think that the latest update has had an impact on battery life? Well, my Playbook originally died and ran out of charge, when I had it attached to the fast charger! Can't explain that right now. I suppose I could have improperly connected via the magnet and this was my own user error. Could be just coincidental that this happened to me after the update and at the same time others are complaining about battery issues. Personally, it does “feel” like my Playbook is draining faster in standby mode than it has in the past. I have my eye on this and if it goes dead again, I'll repost. Obviously, my recharging "technique" worked for me, so if it helps breathe life back into your battery dead playbook, I'd be interested to know.

If RIM has actually pulled the update and not updated their own web site to reflect a battery issue and not officially disclosed a known problem to their customers it would be at best totally unprofessional and at worst inexcusable. I'm still not sure what to make of everyone's comments and issues, when RIM still lists the v2.0.1.668 update on their corporate page.

gRIMace

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Official PlayBook OS v2.0.1.668 Announcement and Breathing Life back into a Dead Battery

Sounds like maybe your charger is worn, I had to replace 2 and now use the magnetic ones on my 7 year old kids PlayBooks so when they rip it out it wont do any damage anymore.

I did not notice much difference in battery life yet and used it alot this weekend.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Official PlayBook OS v2.0.1.668 Announcement and Breathing Life back into a Dead Battery

RIM hasn't won any awards (of which I am aware) for excelling at corporate communications. If they have have, it' snot evident.

All the same, most all of what you're speaking (except your personal charging experience) of has been discussed in the .668 thread here.

This repeats (at a much higher word count) what all has already been discussed.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Appreciate the suggestion, but not likely based on the evidence. As mentioned, charged no problem after I shocked it back to life from 0%. Now it is possible that the charger simply wasn't connected properly, as I mentioned (user error), so it never charged and drained to zero. I keep my Playbook always charged on a regular basis. Rarely below 40%, so it is a bit of a shock to find it dead. Seeing it at 0% when it was supposedly charging was a surprise.

All the yakking about battery problems did have me spooked. The claim that the update has been pulled, added to that. You don't pull an update, unless you know there is a problem. I still don't know if the update has been pulled or not. If it has, where's the explanation!?

I often will disconnect my Playbook from the charger in the morning, go to work with it on standby for 10 hours and then be able to use it without any problem in the evening for a few hours and then plug it in to charge overnight again. Today, I used it for about an hour solid after it was charged and it's been on standby for 5 hours and it's at 40% right now. I have to say that I don't recall seeing such low numbers in my typical use prior to the update. Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I don't think so when I do the math. At this rate, being on standby for 10 hours would have me turning it on with 20% charge remaining. I would never be that close to 0% being in standby for the day, prior to the upgrade. How quickly my Playbook is running down from 100%, definitely has nothing to do with a worn out charger. Smiley Wink

If the v2.0.1.668 OS upgrade has been pulled, that would answer the question as to whether RIM "thinks" there is a software issue. I just haven't seen any indication from RIM that this is the case. 

When I check for a software update it says I have the latest, so that makes me think v2.0.1.668 is still available, despite the comments of others, but I can't explain what they are seeing. A little more clarity would be nice, but I'm not sure who can give it. 

New Contributor

Yeah, I could have added to an existing thread. The one you mentioned or one of the others. Smiley Happy There are multiple threads talking about the upgrade, others that talk about battery issues, others that combine the two, others that started months ago that people are adding to now that are totally unrelated.  Frankly, I didn't want to join a thread where there appeared to me an unnecessary rantng and banter back and forth between members about the upgrade and their experience, which generally isn't helpful to anyone. I'm more interested in the facts than people's opinions about RIM or each other.

I set out with two objectives in mind for this thread. One to provide detailed information and two to request it concerning drain rates and confirmation of a pulled upgrade.

1. To provide those who like myself have scoured the threads on this forum and the knowledge base trying to figure out how to bring a Playbook battery back to life and haven't been given enough detail as to how and why a particular method might work, when nothing they've read or tried has helped. I was definitely wordy, but that's to help make up for the threads I read where folks seem to have a problem and then eventually respond with an "I got it working!" and provide little if any detail as to how, let alone why. I'm happy for them, but it doesn't help the rest of us if there is no detailed explanation of what they learned on their "journey". If my commentary is a help to somebody who is beating their head against the wall like i was, I'm sure they won't care about the extra paragraphs.

2. Simply, can anyone confirm whether the v2.0.1.668 update has actually been pulled, as seems to be suggested by so many others? Is there any objective proof that this is the case. If it is true, than clearly there is an issue with the upgrade and my battery experience may be a reflection of that! I am at 30% now, with 1 hour browsing and 5 hours on standby. Feels like a real fast drain to me compared to prior the update.

Are you in a position to confirm whether upgrade was actually pulled?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

its been pulled, my kids cant get it on theirs and when using desktop software on mine it tries to tell me the previous os is an update.

battery info i posted a while ago

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Lithium-battery-myths-dispelled/td-p/1043...

I wrote about battery issues here

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Play-book-wont-power-up-or-light-just-bli...

I also wrote about jump starting a playbook too

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Jump-start-a-PlayBook-a-knottyrope-tip/m-...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

The trick of repeatedly plugging and unplugging the cable has been posted before.  The conclusion then was a dirty plug that eventually cleaned itself by the repeated plugging. If anyone has the above problem, just try repeated plug+unplug without all the other stuff and if it works add to the knowledge here.

The .668 has caused me no problems. I only wish simeone would publish the reason for the pull so I know what to expect. 

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

gRIMace wrote:

Are you in a position to confirm whether upgrade was actually pulled?

Confirmed. It's been confirmed in many threads.

No, this is not official.

But it HAS been pulled from the servers.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

RIM exec Michael Clewley confirm that 668 was pulled because it has upgrading issues with Playbook with OS 1.0.7 --- and that is the ONLY reason why it was pulled.

http://twitter.com/michaelclewley 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

janetsa wrote:

RIM exec Michael Clewley confirm that 668 was pulled because it has upgrading issues with Playbook with OS 1.0.7 --- and that is the ONLY reason why it was pulled.

http://twitter.com/michaelclewley 

Thankyou for that. 

However a better place would be their website. I will never never join the twitter community, so that's me guessing next time too... [/rant]