Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB, Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: ATT, and TELUS

Re: Official PlayBook OS v2.0.1.668 Announcement and Breathing Life back into a Dead Battery

Well I had no problems with JSanders comments as I took it as a joke and I will say that he had a point, especially as I was not very clear about my comment, I was actually referring to posting on other forums rather that just here specifically, thus trying to hit a wider audience, Smiley Very Happy, and as he said where should one reply.

To be honest I have been trying hard to find reasons for the battery drain other than the new release whilst also trying to identify if it was specific to the release along with seeing if others have similar problems, or if there was an incompatibility with an app that I had installed prior to the release. I am a member of the Blackberry Beta Forums in addition to PinStack, and have been Searching various forums to see if I could find a solution, I have also been in contact with Blackberry about the problem.  I also noticed that when the WiFi is switched on the Playbook tends to warm up which is a further indication of useage.

Now this release may have been made as it specifies to fix a problem with Adobe, but anyone that has performed any form of coding is probably aware that if you change a couple of lines of code it can often have a trickledown effect on other things just due to the linked libraries etc. In this case I believe that the developers were making improvements for us, trying to speed up the browser, get rid of the checkerboard we often see when refreshing the pages, this is likely to have caused a standby switch somewhere in the code to be left such that it is constantly off (ie the playbook is constantly on searching for WiFi, which will drain the battery life.) The important thing here is that the developers find the problem and fix it. Once this has been done we can get back to using the PlayBook with the battery life we have grown to expect.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Official PlayBook OS v2.0.1.668 Announcement and Breathing Life back into a Dead Battery

mine on 668 does not do this.

off charger for 24 hours and still at 88% but i did use it a bit last night for adult movies

have you done a 3 button reset?

hold power, vol = - keys at same time for 20 seconds and report results after

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

I actually have performed 10 of these as I read that a possible reset was required and this would be a way to do it. I have also performed about 50 restarts due to problems with the e-mail application. Neither have had much effect.

With regards to the 3 button reset, there are posts that state this is no longer required with the OS 2 update, now all is required is to hold the power button until the Playbook restarts. I still think it is worth being aware of the 3 button reset which under OS 1 was equivalent to a battery pull
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

davidjbd wrote:
With regards to the 3 button reset, there are posts that state this is no longer required with the OS 2 update, now all is required is to hold the power button until the Playbook restarts. I still think it is worth being aware of the 3 button reset which under OS 1 was equivalent to a battery pull

This is true, as I have been advised the same by a RIM Technical Adviser, and it's documented in the Knowledge Base articles as such.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 16GB

I gave Knotty's suggestion a shot, but no difference noticed.

Before I used to be able to arrive at work or back home and the Playbook recognized would recognize that it was in familiar territory and connect. Now, the wifi stays on, but doesn't connect automatically. In fact I have to enter the password each time. That was never required before. Haven't checked to see if there is some setting thy could be causing this yet. With all the rebooting and resetting, some setting might be changed that I just haven't picked up on yet. Anyway, when I arrive at work the Wifi is on, but not connected to the open network like it used to. I go to the wifi page and the little busy signal pops up and searches every ten seconds, but doesn't connect to the open network, unless I manually force it each day. Same thing when I come home to my own network.

The first time my battery ran dead so fast might have been because the magnetic connector was simply not properly connected. Add to that  the wifi turned on but not actually connecting and it searching every ten seconds for a network it can see and won't connect to, without manual intervention. Hard to say exactly, but there's one thing I'm sure... the update screwed with, and up, the wifi on my device.

I wonder if RIM ever uses existing customers to beta test their updates, prior to release. If not, they should.

As an aside, I didn't mean to rag on J for his comment either. I appreciate that he took that in stride. Smiley Happy I have just posted on enough forums to see one persons "joke" become someone elses "insult" and then things can get really stupid and disrespectful from there. Frankly, until I've chatted enough with someone else I can't tell if they can take a joke or not. Was pleased you were both up for it and some good natured humour adds, rather than subtracts, from our conversation. Smiley Wink

Cheers and thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. 

gRIMace wrote:

I wonder if RIM ever uses existing customers to beta test their updates, prior to release. If not, they should.

Yes, they have for an earlier release of the PB OS, not for this one. I'd love to see them do so again.

They are also still running beta tests for the 2.1 release, currently available if you want to have a go.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I thought the 2.1 Beta was for developers rather than normal users....I would love to test it out. At one stage I had a 16Gb and a 64Gb Playbook and I tested OS 2.0 on the 16 Gb model.

How do you get on the program., its not an option in the Beta zone?

[ Edited ]

No, not in BetaZone (it should be, but BetaZone is not really a developer realm of RIM).

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/05/blackberry-playbook-2-1-0-beta/

Go to this website to  whitelist your device to receive the beta.

And yes, while it is 'intended' for developers, anyone can test it. Just register. I know lots of users with it, and I had it installed on one of my PlayBooks for a short while.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Torch 9800

I too have been having problems with the 668 update, which I
downloaded/installed hours after release without backup Smiley Sad

I couldn't really tell if I had a real battery drain problem at

first because it was rebooting every 5 minutes, which of

course drains the battery horribly.

I am still having an issue with it shutting down when on battery
instead of going to standby (I think, doing another test now).

For those of you reporting poor/lost network connections
and rebooting etc issues, try the following things, which
seem to fixed most of my problems.

From what I read the below references to hard reset

using vol and power keys is not longer needed, you

can just hold down the power button for 20 seconds,

but left it in here because that is what I did.

1) Do hard reset (vol+ and vol- and power for 15 seconds)
Do this while it is plugged in and powered on. I am not
convinced having it plugged in actually matters, but I saw
that somewhere, and it can't hurt.
Screen will go black and it will reboot by itself if done right.

2) Delete ALL of your saved wifi networks.

3) Delete ALL of your accounts (email, cal, contacts, facebook, etc)

4) Do another hard reset.

5) Reconnect to wifi

6) Do another hard reset

7) Add back accounts

8) Do another hard reset

Not sure all the hard resets are needed in between, but I figure it can't hurt, just takes longer.
If you are skeptical skip #6

After doing these things I still have a weird thing with it shutting down
instead of going to standby when on battery and left unattended.

On the plus side, wifi seems a bit stronger and faster, and the whole
thing is definitely a bit faster (reading and deleting email, web browsing)

If I can't figure it out, or if they don't release an new update, I might have
to downgrade though, which would be a shame.

-J

P.S. I think it is also booting up faster now, though still takes close to 3 minutes.

Contributor

Thank you for the link to the developer site for 2.1