Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook

OpenVPN support/alternatives?

So, the PlayBook supports a litany of VPN gateways. Currently, OpenVPN isn't one of them. Two questions:

1.) Will OpenVPN support be added in a future update?

2.) In the meantime, do non-enterprise users have ANY options for securing their communications over untrusted Wi-Fi networks? (Yes, tethering may well be an acceptable workaround for those with data plans, but this doesn't answer the question posed.)

/bw
New Developer

Re: OpenVPN support/alternatives?

Fair enough. Since I can't use it as a standalone device, I guess I'll be selling my PlayBook and moving on to Honeycomb.

/bw
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Cisco is developing a VPN client.

Why cant you use it as a standalone device?

please give some details so we can earn from it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Developer

And Cisco's VPN client will be for Cisco VPN solutions -- not OpenVPN. Once again, the non-enterprise user is SOL.

As is, it seems the only way for consumers to prevent data leakage over untrusted Wi-Fi networks is to not use them at all. Since I don't (and never will) pay for mobile data, I'm left with what amounts to a $500 iPod.

To me, the entire point of this device is to be connected on the go. If being connected and being secure are to remain mutually exclusive, it's time for me to explore other platforms.

/bw
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

I also find it laughable that none of the Blackberry devices are able to connect to servers using OpenVPN.

I've made an official request to RIM a while back and I was told that is was being taken into consideration, but the Playbook is just as bad as the phones in this department.

A tablet that doesn't encrypt the filesystem and doesn't support standards like OpenVPN cannot be called a professional grade tablet, sorry.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I heard of open VPN just this week. I might be in a cave most of the time, but they do let me out once in a while.

Seriously, this is a new OS, QNX has never been used like this. Some things will take time and there are lots of things to come.

Compared wit some of the other tablets on the market, The PlayBook has had more to offer on day one than most of the other did.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Hehe, caves are nice Smiley Wink

OpenVPN (9 years old) is great because any IT admin can install it on commodity hardware and because it's flexible . It uses the reliable and ubiquitous OpenSSL library that is part of the Tablet OS already.
And guess what, OpenVPN is available for QNX...all right, maybe not for ARM and maybe that's why it hasn't been implemented yet, but it's Open Source code, so it shouldn't be that hard for RIM's geniuses to make it work.
RIM's Marketing camp has been very loud and proud about all the security APIs the Playbook supports, but it doesn't seem to work for small businesses or consumers trying to use the free Wifi in an airport.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Guru III
My Device:

Thanks for the info, Some of my users cant get email at airports as only port 80 is open on their wifi and we use RPC over HTTPS with Exchange 2003.

I see you issue, I only hope they will be making a solution for you soon.

My Device: torch
My Carrier: du

I agree. RIM is not hearing the retail market AGAIN. I was deeply interested to buy a playbook, but the lack of supporting openvpn or other VPN protocols in the cell phone is a killer for me. I understand that security is important but so is flexibility.

I think I will need to get rid of my cell and look for smartphones& tablets that offer that. Don't take me wrong. I think RIM products pretty good but they are not flexible enough and don't meet my needs.

i am still trying to find a vpn client

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello Thunder_Fox,

have you found a smartphone and a tablet that can do OpenVPN?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: