Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Contributor
My Device: BB playbook, BB Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodacom SA

Re: PB Power up problem

Hi. The serial number is on the bottom of the BBPB to the left of where you plug in your cables or dock the playbook. Also, have you tried using a «docking» cable to charge it?
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

If only it was that simple. There is no serial number  on the unit. Someone from BB support has told me that the unit is fried - the USB charging port was installed upside down - incorrectly. Yes I tried multiple different cables to revive the beast, to no avail. What I now need is a 12 digit number beginning with the letters SN that is nowhere to be found either on the PB nor the box it came in :-(

Thanks for trying to help

Solutions: 6,421
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

And again.. where did you buy the device?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Sorry: I've been on the phone much of the afternoon with several different support people. The purchase was made through a friend who is  RIM employee - the RIM employee purchase program - same price as they were selling them for at Future Shop. etc. I have e-mailed the order number and purchase info from the order to BB support as requested, e-mailed a photo of the USB port to prove their is no serial number there and now just hacked off the case in a futile effort to find the serial number (at their insistence) and e-mailed them a picture of the back of the unit now that the case has been removed. Still no serial number to be found

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Not that it's relevant to the "no serial number" thing, but I'm very curious about the upside-down USB connector.  These are surface-mounted devices, and it's really not possible to install them "upside" down.  There are no pads on the opposite side of the PCB, and just flipping the connector upside down would mean it couldn't even be soldered to the PCB.  And the PCB can't be flipped or it wouldn't even fit. 

See the teardown pics, for example, such as the Step 8 photos here: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/BlackBerry-PlayBook-Teardown/5265/1

Can you post the photo of the thing here?

If you don't have the box, and there's definitely no serial number on the case, I'm pretty sure you won't find it inside either. You'd have to be able to power it on... which a rapid charger ought to let you do, if it's still functional.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

I wish I knew how to post pics to the forum - can't say I do - glad to forward it to whatever e-mail address you suggest. And actually, it never did handle any connecting cable very well.

Personally, I'd be calling this "friend" with RIM and asking him/her what garbage can they found this in.

So you bought the device through the Friends program without a Serial number on the box, on the edge by the HDMI port and not in the About screen (that you know of, since it won't power up).

Yea, I'd certainly give that person a call.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Actually, it came by FEDEX, from RIM I still have that e-mail trail and the order number

- no fault can be laid at the feet of the person who placed the order - seems to me you were cautioning me about use of sarcasm - well, right back at you

- the box arrived at my house a couple days before Christmas, everything looked fine and it worked ok for the first three months - the first BB tech person I spoke to said it woud've been fine until the upside down charge cable (the only way it would connect) eventually shorted the thing out - That's the truth - never in my life have I worried about serial numbers - guess that has to change...

Well, I honestly wasn't being sarcastic. Just commenting on what I'd do.

If I were being sarcastic, I'd be much more blatant about it.

• Anyway, seriously, on the edge, left of the HDMI port, what IS there? Look at the picture below, what's on yours?
  • Secondly, IF you do have have the email trail and Fedex number, see if RIM warranty services and can look something up from that. Even their order fulfillment some where along the line should have a serial number somewhere of the device shipped.
  • Thirdly, was it shipped from "RIM" or was the order fulfilled from "shopblackberry.com"? ShopBlackBerry.com is not RIM, but a separate, private company, only authorized by RIM as a retailer. Just FYI.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Nothing but black space where there is an ID in your pic

can forward the pic if you send me a private note with e-mail

I have been on the phone with RIM today for several hours, have forwarded them the FEDEX info, the original order number, the pic of the ports without the serial number, and, after they requested it, the pic of the back of the unit after I sawed off the case that came with it, at their insistence - no response

Never heard of shopblackberry,com - this came via regular RIM channels.