Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

PB vs. Xoom

My wife bought a PB for her business as she wanted to go paperless.  I wanted a Xoom b/c I wanted something lighter than a laptop to do a majority of the tasks (entering billable time for clients, surfing the web, etc).  We had the PB for about a month prior to me getting my Xoom, so I had nothing to compare the experience to.  I have posted several times in this forum about the lack of basics in the PB(file explorer, utilization of folders in WordToGo, lack of apps).

I got my Xoom Friday and have messed with it almost non-stop.

• PB 16GB = $500; Xoom 32GB = $600
  • The Xoom is bigger (obviously), but very much heavier.  It is so much heavier that it makes me wish it was smaller like the PB.
  • The Xoom has native email.  This is HUGE.  We use Exchange and it has proven in these few days to be very necessary to have the email native in the tablet vs. Bridging.
  • The Android email does not sync Exchange Notes.  Very frustrating.  There are currently no 3rd party apps that allow for this either.
  • The PB tethers with BB's so you don't have to have a separate cell plan for it.  It is currently impossible to tether/bridge a Xoom to a BB.  You need an Andriod phone for that.
  • Xoom browser is much FASTER than PB.  I am yet to run into a site that the Xoom has issues with.  PB has not had any issues either, but is slower.
  • The Xoom browser has a really cool customization where you can remove the top navigation and place it on the sides activated by sliding your thumb from the outside in.
  • The number of apps is a "no contest".  The problem is that I have found a couple of apps that are not setup for tablets (out of a couple dozen that I have downloaded).
  • Android market does not have Need for Speed.  I miss playing that game on my wife's PB.
  • Battery life is about the same.
  • It is advisable to download an app-killer for Android devices.  Apps stay running and eat up battery and memory.
  • The Xoom has a "recent apps" menu.  It shows the last 7 or so apps that you have run.  When you select one from the list, it returns you to the exact place you were in the app.
  • GPS works consistently on the Xoom.  I have the WiFi only model.
  • The Xoom cannot be accessed via WiFi from a networked computer
  • The Xoom can access networked drives from servers and computers.
  • My wife does not care for the weight of the Xoom.  She likes the speed of the browser and the viewing area, but would not give up the light weight of her PB for it.
  • Surprisingly, my Xoom has Exchange Push email support.  I get emails right before my BB.  I was always with the idea that Android and Apple email support checked Exchange at a time interval.

I know this is a LONG post, but after shelling out $500 for a PB, I kinda regret it.  I called BB support on several of the issues, and like everyone else, I was told that they have no idea when some of the major issues (or complaints) will be addressed, or IF they will be addressed.  Support did fix a couple of my issues with the PB (WiFi access from a computer to the PB & Sync'ing).

My 2 cents; for what it's worth.....

BBEx 5.0.1 on SBS 2007 (Exchange) Playbook w/o Directory structure & Dropbox & RDP
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Re: PB vs. Xoom

Do not use task killers post Android 2.1. When you exit apps properly they will not continue to run, however the memory usage stays until another app needs it, in which case it will be freed. Using a task killer is unnecessary and may even lead to decreased battery life and some apps will restart when killed: http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-t...

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

Hiya!
I'm sorry but the points look rather even as it stands to me. correct me if im wrong but your main points are:

PB has no native email. ( it doesn't personally bother me as my PB stays bridged, so I get the mail that way.. pointless to have it come into 2 locations IMHO)

and Apps, you like the higher selection of apps on the Xoom.
I can let you know that the PB is getting access to the android apps as well... so the 'no-contest' is nullified basically.

was there anything else?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Contributor

My point was an attempt to compare the two tablets.  My wife loves her PB, and I my Xoom.  Telling someone that a point is invalid b/c things are GOING to happen doesn't help.  We don't know when it will happen and we don't know what bugs are going to exist that make the workflow an issue.  I have heard that folders are going to happen, it may be BS.  That doesn't help my wife now.

Having email in two places isn't an issue.  When I delete an email on the server, it is reflected in all locations.  I have found myself w/o my phone a lot more often b/c I have my Xoom in hand.

v17al - thanks for the info.  I was unaware of that.

BBEx 5.0.1 on SBS 2007 (Exchange) Playbook w/o Directory structure & Dropbox & RDP
Forums Veteran I

I never said the point was invalid, I stated the "no contest" will be nullified, as the exact same apps will be available.
The point is valid at this time.

what I meant about email in 2 places. was email in 2 places on the playbook makes no sense for how I use it. Simply pointing out that native email isnt an issue for me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!

Contributor

I agree that the use of the Bridge makes native email a non-issue.  Unless you don't have a blackberry.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: ATT

As far as getting android apps- the key question is when?

So far it is an empty promise.

Absense of a good reading app - Kobo on playbook does not let you read your own books,

Kobo on Android does,

no Kindle, no Nook, no any other....

Untill Playbook functions(has nessesary applications) well, all those promises start to feel like a feeble attempt on marketing, without any desire to actualy do anything that has been promised.

Forums Veteran I

How is it an empty promise?
Android apps were demonstrated at Blackberry World earlier this month, you can actually see the videos online if you like. they were announced for this summer.. also announced was NATIVE email, calendar, contacts.

Give it time people, it is a brand new OS, not a few year old OS that was simply enlarged and optimized for tablets. Smiley Tongue

Of course they have the desire to improve, why wouldnt they?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB

ASSUMING RIM is fully committed in making the playbook even better tomorrow than today, Xoom vs Playbook will be obsolete.

Why?

It is rumored that Xoom won't support the new android OS, because MOT wants the consumer to be forced to buy a new tablet. So you're stuck with some older android version on xoom.

At least with playbook RIM is adding required features incrementally. Even with the bugs and lack of features (like no spell correction yet..but the squiggly lines are there, for example) Playbook is not looking so bad.

I'm OT here but I just want to see the uptake on playbook grow steadily, ensuring more and more support and apps developed on the playbook.
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: ATT

The apps they demonstrated- are not available on my pb, they do me no good, if they are not available.

I think as a customer I have a right to expect performance and utilty from the new device, not excuses that it is "new" and I should give it more time, whith that I could buy something that I can use now, and may be consider PB when it comes up with all those promised features...by which time I am sure ipad and xoom and other tablets would be ahead again. If you want to compete, you cant if you tell your customers to wait... and wait... and wait...