Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

PC won't recognize playbook

Won't work on USB, Wi-Fi or bluetooth.

I connect it via USB and then click install when the prompt comes up for device manager.  Everything seems to go ok at first and it says I need to unplug and plug back in my playbook.  This is where everything goes wrong.  After I do that it won't recognize the thing no matter what I do.  It doesn't show up as a drive, says that it's disconnected in Desktop Manager and Device Manager is completely blank.  I get the windows sound of something being unplugged and plugged back in but that's about it.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing everything in different order and keep getting back to the same point.

The odd part is that it seems to work as expected on my old laptop, but not my new one that has all my media on it.

I tried "troubleshooting" in desktop manager but it just said check if the cable is damaged.  I've used 4 different USB cables and every USB port on the laptop without any luck.  It doesn't seem to be charging it either when it's plugged in

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB & Bold 9700
My Carrier: MTN

Re: PC won't recognize playbook

[ Edited ]

Connect the playbook to your PC via the micro usb cable, right click on 'Computer', select properties, select Advanced system settings, select 'Hardware' and then 'Device Manager'

In Device Manager, click on the 'Action' menu at the top and select 'Scan for hardware changes'. After the scan completes, open the 'Network Adapter' tree (click the + sign on the left) to see the devices under it, right click on 'Research in motion network device' and select 'Uninstall".

After the above is done, close the device manager page and un-install the Blackberry desktop software from the control panel and restart the PC. When the PC powers up, download and install the most recent desktop software.

Jerome
----
If a post was helpful, please click the kudos star button below it.
If a post solved the problem you raised in your thread, click on 'Accept as Solution'.
New Contributor

I tried all of this and I'm still getting the same result

I installed the desktop software after removing everything and restarting and when I plug in the playbook it always comes up as a research in motion network device and once again isn't recognized by desktop manager, device manager or as a Z drive.

I even tried the same process but also installed "blackberry device and modem drivers" that I got from blackberry.com and still the same result

Contributor

What PC/OS do you have?

Jerome
----
If a post solved the problem you raised in your thread, click on 'Accept as Solution'.
New Contributor

It's an Asus G73jw laptop running Win7 x64
Contributor

i had a similar problem on my laptop (32 bit Vista) and the process i gave u above solved it. i'm sorry i dont hv any more ideas on how to solve yours, try contacting bb support.

Jerome
----