Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Starhub

PDF Reader and Editor for Playbook

Hi Guys,

Hope all is well with you...

I recently bought playbook, adobe pdf reader sucks...period....I cannot find "words"...No options at all.

Whenever I read a book, I like to underline the text which I find important, also when on the middle of the page, if I need to refer another name in the document, I use "find"....Now  I am not able to do both. Smiley Sad Also there is no app on the app world as well. So sad...Smiley Sad

Can anyone face similar problem, Hope you guys can help me...

Thanks

Sincerely,

Chandra

Contributor
My Device: Playbook - 16GB
My Carrier: None

Re: PDF Reader and Editor for Playbook

readubg pdf books can be a problem on many devices, including the PB. I found that using Calibre to convert the pdf books to epub format works most of the time, but you still won't be able to underline.
Tom
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Trusted Contributor

I downloaded yesterday Jotsy from the BB App Store (right now it is available for free).

Besides being a PDF Reader it also allows you to select a page number without scrolling to it, highlight text lines, add comments, circle text, and save these changes or undo those changes.

Jotsy comes in ‘2 slices’. You install one on your PB and the other one on your PC. When you install the PC component you need first to install java (I had to uninstall it, then installed java from java.com, and then re-installed Jotsy to get the Jotsy icon placed into the notification area of the system tray. You need this one.

Today I set-up a “cloud’” account with box.com (right now it is available for free till March 23) and now Jotsy syncs with my files in the Jotsy PC folder on my desktop and the Jotsy box folder in the “cloud”, i.e. the box.com’s server where one can store up to 5 GB of files either from your PB or smartphone (via upload from your media card folders or send your attachments from email as an email forwarded to your box account (wow)).

What does sync do? It copies files from both locations to your hidden Jotsy folder in your PB so you can work ‘Offline’ on your documents. One thing I didn’t like. I needed to upload my PB OS 2 manual to the “cloud” from my PB document folder rather than move it locally (I guess this is good for service providers). However, now I can go directly to pages I want tot go from the index without scrolling through the whole manual and make notes right there in my manual or underline text.

If this is what your are looking for click the like icon in this box. Thx, matt

New Contributor
My Carrier: Personal

In addition to Chandra's question: "PDF reader in my playbook can't read PDF file that I inserted from my computer. It always appear a message: File path is invalid". So, could any one help me? Smiley Very Happy
Regular Contributor
My Device: Palybook
My Carrier: Bell

It is sad, there are numerous really good Annotation programs that allow you to work with PDF documents, sign thme on screen, save and email, you name it but Nothing for BBP, weird as that is such a business tool.
Trusted Contributor

Maybe my above comment is not clear enough but there is Jotsy available from the BB App World which you can download and it can read any PDF file on your PB ( at least the iOS formatted ones I had trouble before with). The app is free and so is a box.com account to store those files in the cloud if you want to.
New Contributor
My Carrier: Personal

Thank u very much all!Smiley Very Happy. My problem has been solved by update to OS 2.0..heheh