Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: blackberry playbook
My Carrier: unknown

PLAYBOOK WITH WIFI ONLY

MY BLACKBERRY HAS WIFI ONLY, SO WHAT DO I NEED TO GET CONNECTED TO IT? NOT READY COMPUTER OR TABLET SMART. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

Re: PLAYBOOK WITH WIFI ONLY

You don't say if you have a new PlayBook or got a used one from somewhere else. Presuming you are starting out with a new PlayBook, you can click on the link below that takes you to a blog on setting up the PlayBook for the first time:

Setting up WiFi PlayBook

If you have picked up a used PlayBook and it has already been set up, then you make a WiFi connection by clicking on the third menu symbol in from the top right (after swiping in from the top right) which looks like a series of concentric arcs.  Make sure the slider on the right is set to "on".  Click on the concentric arcs which brigs up the WiFi menu.

Once in that menu, if a WiFi signal is available, it will show up on the list on the right.  Click on one of the available networks.  The easiest is to pick an open one.  Encrypted ones will prompt you for a password  and possibly more information.  If you are connecting to your home's WiFi, just enter the information from your home connection.

Good luck,

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: AIS Thailand

I also do not recommend TYPING IN ONLY CAPITAL LETTERS because in the online community it appears kind of rude Smiley Happy
Cheers
If you have an answer to your question then please click “Accept as Solution”
Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit.
BB 8700 -> Bold 9000 -> Curve 8520 -> Bold 9700 -> Curve 9320 -> Bold 9900 -> BlackBerry Z10 + PlayBook 64 GB Wi-Fi
Highlighted
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Wi-Fi is a wireless network connection "hotspot" or "access point" which allows a Wi-Fi capable device (phone, tablet, other computer, printer) to get on some type of network (public, home or work network) and potentially be able to share Internet access or other connected devices (email, streaming, browsing, printers, scanners, etc) or even transfer files to and from devices. Think of it as a radio and the signals it receives and transmits as radio signals.

On a home network, you typically have a broadband network connection (cable or DSL but you can get devices that have 3G or LTE SIM cards that a cellular device would use) connected to a wireless router and a computer (Windows, Mac, Linux). The computer typically is tethered to the router via ethernet cable and then that signal is split using the router to a variety of Wi-Fi capable devices. My home router splits my cable Internet access to allow up to 8 devices to connect and share the wireless signal simultaneously.

On a Wi-Fi tablet like our PlayBooks, we can then get on to the Internet and download updates and applications to the tablet. It greatly enhances the functionality of the tablet and many applications use some type of data connection to update their displays (example: weather apps, scoreboard apps, web browser, stock tickers, etc.) Connecting to Wi-Fi uses battery up though so it is wise to turn off Wi-Fi when it's not needed for long periods of time. 

If I were you, on a home computer, I'd go to YouTube and see videos on how to setup Wi-Fi on the PlayBook. Visually, you'll get a sense of what's needed. It's way faster to see what everything means rather than reading lots of words...

Good luck!