Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 64gb
My Carrier: Vodafone

PaReNtAl CoNtRol

....hi all, my first post, i just bought a playbook for my son, is there a parental control app for the playbook or a way of doing it witbout messing with router settings?

Easy fella.....!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: PaReNtAl CoNtRol

check out this thread please

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Playbook-experience-and-children/m-p/2012...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Many thanks for your referral, but I am still uncertain where to turn or is it that there isn't any? 

Regards,
Z

Easy fella.....!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I suggested a few things in that thread already. nothing has changed since then

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: striaght panel
My Carrier: BlackBerry

[ Edited ]

What features do you want to have for your playbook? If you want to bock sites, try a filter.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Alrale wrote:

What features do you want to have for your playbook? If you want to bock sites, try a filter.

That is a windows product. There are currently no such products that will run on PlayBook. 

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

I read the linked thread. The answer does seem to be (1) there is no parental control app that you can install to change how the playbook operates (2) there is not much in the way of customizable settings that parents can use to restrict their children's use at this time.

KnottyRope did mention that he uses control settings in the wifi router to control internet access for his kids. This is an avenue you might want to explore further. I am sure that he or others can point you in the direction of some "how-to" info to do it. Depending on the age of your son, you may want to talk to him about (not) installing and deleting apps on purpose or by mistake. As the person who posted the other thread pointed out, one significant issue with BB App World is that if you delete an app, you lose the saved data. And if you got it for free but find it has a new price when you go to reinstall it, you will have to pay for the app. It's a less forgiving app world that some of the other platforms...

The playbook is a really nice piece of tablet technology - but not an obvious choice for a kid, especially in terms of connecting to the extent of kid-fun content you might find flooding into iTunes. To be fair though, RIM's products have always been more focused on the business user market than on the family consumer market and, as much as they do need to make their devices more user-friendly, they are probably going to focus on rethinking their value proposition in their core business market to defend against more market share losses before they invest much energy into learning what non-business folk want in a tablet or a phone. And some of the controls being designed into BB10 for businesses to use for their employees might translate into decent parental controls too.

I will say that, one thing I love about both my BlackBerry and Apple devices is that I don't worry about viruses as much as I might with other phones/tablets. I'm not especially great with the ins and outs of hardware & software, so it's a nice reassurance.

If you post back, let people know things like your son's age, whether or not you're already familiar with the Playbook and doing things like sideloading apps, etc.

Good luck with it.

Guru III
My Device:

IMO Parental controls hides the issues with parenting and technology. It is a bandaid you apply instead of dealing with the actual issue. Teach your children and they will learn from your examples. I do believe in some control but lets face it, they will try things when you are not around. I try to protect them as much as possible but they wont be in the nest forever.

My son has been using PlayBook since age 6 and only a few months ago does he have internet access. I use DNS.org to get perental controls on surfing.

App world has parental controls for content.

Teach your kids how to use it and explain rules.

I told my son if he goes anywhere else but youtube for Annoying orange, legos or starwars he must see me first or loose the tablet for a week. he is not allowed to browse unless with an adult or loose it for a week. I keep a log of sites visited and showed him that I will find out.

I have no password on my TV as they know better not to go to other channels besides the ones we list.

New Contributor

Thank you all for your friendly advice, I am swayed towards the trust and guidance option. The blackberry in the UK has the most bang for its buck especially when the 64gb had comedown in price considerably. -I also have one which means ease of use and tech support from daddy, the ipad is to expensive for him to drop and both the ipad or  android device applications offer way too many gaming distractions. I will also explore the dns routes just to rule out inadvertant shocks! 

Once again many thanks, it has helped me  ponder.

Regards,

Zjones

Easy fella.....!
Guru III
My Device:

You can also use your BBID on it to share the same apps if you wish.

you wont be able to vid chat on same wifi router but thats a minor bit