Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16 GB
My Carrier: -

Permanent slowdown after filling a 16 GB Playbook to the brim

Hi there,

I already wrote about this problem in a discussion thread over at crackberry.com. Unfortunately there was no real solution to it.

Okay, so this has happened a few weeks ago and now it happened again: All of a sudden my Playbook became very slow. Apps take roughly twice as long to load and the browser's address bar sometimes takes several seconds to appear after swiping from the top. Very annoying! Some of my videos in KalemSoft Media Player now stutter - as does music played with Neutron Music Player, when using the app in conjunction with other programs, especially the browser. Turning WiFi File Sharing on or off is a matter of many seconds, it was instantly before.

But I think I finally found the reason for this abnormal behavior: The only 'unusual' thing I did yesterday was that I copied a large movie over to the Playbook. After that and with only 800 MB of free storage left I immediately noticed the reduced performance.

Now for the scary part: Erasing the file (resulting in 5 GB of free storage space) did nothing to alleviate the problem. Rebooting and even the infamous 3 finger reset didn't help either. I'm in the process of wiping my Playbook as this helped the last time this happened. But honestly, I'm at a loss. I don't want to reinstall the OS every time I fill up my tablet. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Re: Permanent slowdown after filling a 16 GB Playbook to the brim

I have a 64GB PlayBook that goes through this.

I don't use my email on it now because that is also a factor - but I can only go through the debrick process so many times before getting bored.

I always find clearing email accounts, deleting wifi connections and clearing browser cache and history help alleviate the pain.

Beyond that, I don't know what to suggest.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

I had the same problem after installing a large file, and had to debrick as playbook was completely unresponsive. My response is always to leave a few GB free. It means a 16GB playbook is really an 8GB Playbook in practice as it only has 12GB usable when empty.

Bit like Windows PC really. 

My Device: Playbook 16 GB
My Carrier: -

Hi guys, thanks for you replies.

cas118, I tried everything you mentioned - cleared mail accounts, cache and WiFi settings, rebooted the device - nothing helped. I really am a bit shocked that even after deleting the file (and with 5 GB of storage space left) there is a permanent ill effect on the device. That makes no sense at all.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Backup

Security wipe

Restore.