Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: AA

Pl;aybook will not update os

I've had this Playbook for sometime now and it never really worked from the start but when I tried updating the os it did something internally now the darn thing downloads the new os starts loading it and stops.  A message comes up saying an error has occurred.

I think it might be best to put a bullet through it and post it on Youtube because this thing has never worked from the start.  anybody else have the same issue?

Rob

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Pl;aybook will not update os

Before you load your gun:

• How are you trying to upgrade, via the WiFi connection or connected to the BlackBerry Desktop Software?
  • What OS is installed on the it now? Options > Software Updates
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hi:

I can't say what os version (system starts showing an upgrade is available) the problem occurred while trying to update to os 2.  The Playbook didn't work from the start when you tap an icon the system wouldn't go there or it would blow back to the menu are a couple of seconds.  When trying to upgrade to os 2 the system downloads the file starts loading and stops due to an error.  I've tried upgrading to os 2.1.0.1088 and the same thing happens.  I tried wireless and through the desktop software.  I called support and they couldn't help so I got a Ticket # 24997786 but now when I call the support number it's no longer in service.  This Playbook 64G is probably a year old and I haven't been able to use it.  Good thing I bought an Ipad.  Can you help?

[ Edited ]

RobNicol wrote:

Good thing I bought an Ipad.  Can you help?

I am trying to help, aren't I? What about the iPad, you're bragging? I have two.

If you're "just saying", who cares how many iPads you have? I have two Fords and a Volvo. Smiley Happy

I see you have three choices.

• Call your PlayBook support number again, and give that Ticket number. If the old number is out of service, give your country, I'll give you a number to call.
  • Run the Debrick process I've described below.
  • Sell me your 64gb PlayBook. I can fix it. lol

You need to follow these instructions to "debrick" your PlayBook:
1. Do a backup of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software version 7 installed. It can be downloaded from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
2. After the backup is finished, unplug the PlayBook and on the PlayBook press and hold down the power button until the unit forces the device off.
3. With the Desktop Software still open on your computer and the PlayBook powered off, connect the PlayBook to your computer once again. Press and hold the power key for 20 seconds.
4. You should see an error screen from Desktop Software popup with the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.
Very quickly choose the Update option.
5. All information will on your PlayBook will be erased and a reload of the Software will commence to install on the PlayBook.
6. Once this is complete your PlayBook will go back through the initial (as if new) setup wizard (entering the BlackBerryID, etc., and then you can perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your personal data from the backup. Applications which you downloaded from AppWorld won't restore, but they can be easily reinstalled using AppWorld > MyWorld section of AppWorld.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Sorry about the two Fords - I did everything you suggested the system file was 347Mb it downloaded and installed so I went through all the motions connecting WiFi etc; thought I might be saving the price of a bullet but a message came up right at the end saying new software to install, this file says version 2.1.0.1088 29 Mb and must be downloaded by WiFi because the desktop says complete setup before re-connecting to the desktop. 

The 29Mb file downloads but times out saying the software update was interrupted please try again.  Once the file is downloaded to the PlayBook what can interrupt it????

I don't know what can interrupt it.

So good, you've upgraded.

There was a small incremental upgrade a few days ago, so that's the small upgrade.

Restart the Playbook by touching the battery icon > restart... then connect to Wifi and try again.

Or just don't worry about the small upgrade, and enjoy your Playbook.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
New Contributor

Darn thing still won't do anything tried setting up the email again and it just stays on the spinning green circle other application show black screen, app world, etc or it just blows back to the menu again.  I'll save the bullet for now and return it back to its paper weight duties maybe some up date will finally work, if not, I send you a link to the Youtube page where a put a few holes in it.  Things like is why BlackBerry is losing so much market share the Ipad is a far superior product.

You're giving up on a what ever this bug is, is the reason yours is a paper weight.

The first upgrade we accomplished, and you don't even say thanks.

Take care.

Knowledge Base Updates