Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

The BlackBerry device internally regulates the rate of charge so that's why the PlayBook charger is OK to use on the BlackBerry phone.

@Azhrei I think you need to contact RIM. Something is wrong and it doesn't look like software is going to fix it. When the device battery depletes completely you're going to have real problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jerryg50 wrote:
Read carefully what I said. The Playbook charger is too strong for the phone. The phone charger is not strong enough for the Playbook.

See. that's just not true. The power is regualted as John said above, on the handheld device.

Sorry to disagree, Jerry, I have researched it. However, I'll read any official RIM technical bulletin on the matter.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Jerry, you are correct, though, that the Blackberry phone charger is not sufficient for the Playbook.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

[ Edited ]

I think we're all right on that point.  Smiley Wink

JSanders wrote:

... .  Handheld chargers will not charge the PlayBook, or they do at a such a low voltage that the totally drained PlayBook can't recover with just that low trickle charge.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

With greater current source going in to the device, the harder the charger current regulator has to work to keep the charge current regulated. This makes more heat and thus reduces lifespan and reliability. The current controller in the phone was designed to handle a max average of 700 ma. The Playbook charger is in the 1600 may range. It is a bit more than double the recommended charge rate for the phone. 

Part of my engineering background is in industrial and consumer powersupply and charging circuit design. I also worked.In design research for video and audio circuit design. 

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.

Thanks!

Confirms that it will work... Smiley Wink

I agree it might not be "ideal", but it works for me on my 9850 since April of 2011... no negative effects yet.

At two of RIM's BlackBerry World Conferences (2011 & 2012), I inquired of a couple of RIM techs who I trust on the matter, on just this issue. They confirmed they work, and wouldn't damage my 9850.

If it does, I'll report back.

Meanwhile, I guess we're off-topic on the discussion points of this thread.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Forums Advisor III

The problem is the source current more than the voltage, but you have a valic point where the phone charger, or most universal chargers can acutally allow the Playbook battery to discharge rather than charge.

Lithium and NiCad type cells are charged by current source at an open end voltage spec. This is a bit complicated, but in basic terms the battery has to have the proper current source rate of charge.

It is most important that the proper rate of charger is used for the battery type intended.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.

[ Edited ]

It's all above my pay grade for a country boy raised in the woods of L.A. (lower Alabama).

I can only learn from all of you.

Thanks!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16G
My Carrier: Bell

To reiterate, I am using the supplied charger that was in the Playbook box to charge the Playbook.

I have used the Playbook charger on my phone several times without incident. 

That aside, I am still not seeing any appreciable charging on the PB.  By swapping between the charging cord and the USB cord to my computer it has climbed to 3%, but nothing in the last couple of hours.

Forums Advisor III

When you used the Playbook charger on the phone, did you get the full charge symbol almost right away?  Did the bottom of the phone begin to feel sort of hot after about 20 minutes?  These are two basic signes of the charger being over-rated for the phone. Not all the phone models may exhibit this even if some damage is being done.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.