Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Play book wont power up or light just blinks

gotovishal, follow this debricking process next. Skip steps 1 & 2. 

You need to follow these instructions to "debrick" your PlayBook:
1. Do a backup of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software version 7 installed. It can be downloaded from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
2. After the backup is finished, unplug the PlayBook and on the PlayBook press and hold down the power button until the unit forces the device off.
3. With the Desktop Software still open on your computer and the PlayBook powered off, connect the PlayBook to your computer once again.
4. You should see an error screen from Desktop Software popup with the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.
Very quickly choose the Update option.
5. All information will on your PlayBook will be erased and a reload of the Software will commence to install on the PlayBook.
6. Once this is complete your PlayBook will go back through the initial (as if new) setup wizard (entering the BlackBerryID, etc., and then you can perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your personal data from the backup. Applications which you downloaded from AppWorld won't restore, but they can be easily reinstalled using AppWorld > MyWorld section of AppWorld.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: O2

[ Edited ]

My PlayBook has the same problem: I want to turn it on, LED shows red for a few seconds, then blinks 5 times and nothing happens. So I plugged it into the original charger and after a few tries it turned on.

When it finished booting, the battery indicator showed 0% and was red. So I kept it plugged in over night. This morning it still showed 0% but was still on. That's strange. I kept it on the charger until tonight and it still was at 0%. So I did what JSanders in the previous post suggested, but at the final step when the re-flashed PlayBook was supposted to restart it didn't, it was off. I waited about 30 minutes but nothing happened. So I disconnected the PlayBook from my PC, tried to turn it on but had the 5 flashes again and nothing else happened.

Now it is on the charger again, the LED is pulsing and when I press the power button it shows the dim battery symbol with a flash inside and keeps pulsing. I wonder if it is charging now... My impression is that the battery is fully charged but the software won't measure it correctly. Any thoughts on this behavior?

Edit:

I finished the setup wizard but it stopped at the last step as you can see on the attached screenshots:

It says "Connect your tablet to a power supply. The software update will be continued as soon as the battery is at more than 20% capacity". This is shown with the original charger plugged in.

When I disconnect the charger it changes to this:

"Connect your table to continue. Shutdown in 58 seconds" and it counts down...

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook RDJ21WW
My Carrier: 7094432492

Hello,

I've tried everything that was suggested, but nothing "good" happens only red light blinking.

What else should I try but throw it in the recycle bin??

Thanks, Barb

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

floppes & BarbKenny the most I can advise at this point, if you've "done everything" is to keep it connected to the charger and keep pressing the power button every few hours.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: blackberry playbook 16gb and 32gb
My Carrier: not relevant

Mine and my kids wont charge and wont light. NOTHING. I've tried other chargers bought new one at best buy. We have four playbooks and niece far away has one and ALL 4 did same thing and no lights nothing. I posted a message here. We need to make them recall this.
Contributor

YOU CANT DO A BACKUP OR TO COMPUTER IF IT WONT EVER CHARGE AND WONT EVEN LIGHT ..TRIED LEAVING ON CHARGER 2 DAYS NOTHING. This is ridiculous that blackberry doesn't offer recall. Instead we have people suggesting all these steps that don't work if it wont charge and if u at least get blinking light you have to reboot or plug in computer somehow just to get it to a point to recharge? Which is not going to work anyway if its dead. And if it works with any lights then how crazy is it that you have all this work ..that only users figured out, so they share how they fixed it on forums but no actual help from blackberry themselves. I mean, what kind of business does this to their consumers? RECALL ON BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOKS
BATTERY ISSUE
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I have two play books and have had them for over a year. Neither has ever had a problem. There are dozens of posts in this very thread on how to fix it. If you bread the thread you'll see that those who couldn't fix then had success by contacting BB and getting them repaired. BB has faults but supporting the Playbook has never been an issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

RECALL NEEDS TO BE ON BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK. Mine and many others wont charge ANYMORE ..and that was only after 6 months old. Brick. Consumers don't buy phones, electtonics or pads which are designed to make life easier, with the thought or expectation that they can't charge the device on its charger after it dies. Mine wont charge no matter how long I put on its charger anymore, or even a new charger. Its not the charger..its the obvious flaw in the battery and charging in the playbook and blackberry knew this when they began selling them.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Oy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

I have 4 and one is my neices 1000 miles away. All 4 have done the whole battery wont charge anymore no matter what. Not a coincidence. The battery in playbook is flawed and although "you say" you have 2 and no problems. Maybe a few got thru without the issue, or maybe you work at blackberry..I mean why would you post on blackberry forum for battery problems if yours don't have a problem? Hmmmm? Then to go on to advise us that contacting the company itself always resolved playbook issues. How do you know that? Oh yeah, you work thwre