Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/a

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.358 now available

Ok why don't you start from scratch, first of all back up if you can to recover all the media and apps that you paid for.Next shut down the playbook and wait 5 min. Now start the desktop software , then attach the usb to the laptop and the playbook. the software will say it cannot find your laptop and will load drivers , again the playbook is still off. now wait for the desktop software to ask if you want to reload the  software, Say yes and it will proceed to reload the playbook  like it was new. It may take a while, but when it is done you will have to set up the playbook again like you did the first time putting in your id etc , time etc.. When that is done you can then hook up the usb again with the desktop software to restore your original files , again that may take another 30 to 60 minutes . I have done this a couple of times and it works well , the only thing is it takes a lot of time .

New Contributor
My Carrier: Videotron

Yes, I have tried all that and seem to end up in a loop back to being prompted to install new OS on device and being told that Media Options Not Availabe on the device.  Guess I will use this thing for web surfing, e mail and some games.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: fido

Hey vanawful I'm a little confused now you posted this

Did you uninstall Device Manager (not desktop software), reboot, reconnect the PB, then install Device Manager V7 from the CD-ROM labeled PlayBook?

I thought the Device manager was the desktop software. How does one uninstall the device manager.

Thanks

New Contributor
My Carrier: Videotron

OK will try it.  This ought to eat up the rest of my day.  Thanks for your help.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S
My Carrier: T-Mobile

bugeja wrote:

Hey vanawful I'm a little confused now you posted this

Did you uninstall Device Manager (not desktop software), reboot, reconnect the PB, then install Device Manager V7 from the CD-ROM labeled PlayBook?

I thought the Device manager was the desktop software. How does one uninstall the device manager.

Thanks

No, Desktop Software and Device Manager are two completely different applications. Device Manager allows for the virtual network mapping of the PB to drive 'Z' and provides the communications framework. Then Desktop Software can be used to backup, restore, and sync your PB.

Desktop Software has nothing to do with communicating with the PB. It is all done with the Device Manager. That is why the latest version of Device Manager is always included with the PB OS. When it is not installed on your computer the PB provides an emulated CD-ROM from which you can install Device Manager.

In windows go to the control panel then open Programs (win7) or Add/Remove Programs (WinXP). Look for BlackBerry Device Manager. You can uninstall it from there. Be sure to follow the steps in my previous post (message 92 in this thread).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S
My Carrier: T-Mobile

d9704011 wrote:

Yes, I have tried all that and seem to end up in a loop back to being prompted to install new OS on device and being told that Media Options Not Availabe on the device.  Guess I will use this thing for web surfing, e mail and some games.

I have seen this before. Was likely caused by a file corruption during the update. A hicup in the download or something else on your PB that prevented a proper install.

Best thing to do at this point is:

1. Disconnect it from the computer.
  2. Do not attach the charger. Leave it unplugged from everything.
  3. Perform a Security Wipe.
  4. When your PB shuts down, leave if off. Do not turn it on.
  5. Make sure your computer has internet access.
  6. Make sure you have WiFi access for the PB (needed in later steps).
  7. Now, start up the BlackBerry Desktop Software on your computer.
  8. Once the BBDS is running, plugin your PB via the USB cable.
  9. The BBDS should give you some message about not recognizing it. Then provide you a button to click on to update the software. Pay attention. The button only gets displayed for around a minute, then it goes away and the PB will boot up. You need to click on it while it is showing.
  10. It SHOULD download and install the 2.0.1.xxx version.
  11. Once installed you will have to go through all of the steps as if it were new. (need WiFi for this)
  12. You should now be back up and running.
  13. To reinstall your Apps get on the internet and go to App World. Look in the uninstalled section of MyWorld and reinstall your apps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
New Developer
My Carrier: Fido

That is great! Yahoo email account doesn't work well with OS2.0, but with this 2.0.1, works perfectly. Thank you RIM, continue your good job.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: fido

[ Edited ]

It turns out that I did not have Device manager on my PC. I conected the PB to the PC and the BB PB Virtual Drive (CD Drive (D)) pops up. I click on it and nothing happens. My browser windo crashes

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: na

Download took about half an hour. My bing maps is still there and that other app was loaded last update -I removed it. So far I can't seem to find any difference. Everything works.  I removed the power icon some time ago. The restart went fine. Maybe it didn't actually update? Wait, checked is version -yup. Guess I just got lucky 

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook and Pearl
My Carrier: Telus

Yes, power icon gone. Now I can't turn off playbook even when I press the button on top.