Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: VodaFone

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.668 now available

Hi,

Update 2.1.0.840 is available only for Developers as it says on the site....So, if we download it will it have any negative impact ? As I am not a developer... 

Thanks...

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry PRIV
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

I do not believe there is any negative impact to installing the beta.

If anything there is an improvement in performance of the mail, calendar and browser apps. My wifi connectivity is more stable as well. 

The aspect changes for the mail,calendar and contacts apps works nicely as well.

Regular Contributor

Thanx....

Regular Contributor

Hi,

After Registering...Following message appeared on the screen

Note: After installing BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 you will not be able to backup and restore data back to 2.0.x. Apps downloaded or purchased from App World while using BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 may no longer work on other versions of the BlackBerry PlayBook OS. Not all apps which work on OS 2.0.x will work on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1.

What exactly...it means that  one will not be able to backup and restore data back to 2.o.x??? I have already backed up my PlayBook Data before installing the Beta Version...Can i backup my PlayBook after installing the Beta version or not?

Thanks...

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry PRIV
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

You can backup after applying the backup but it is only valid for 2.1.x OS versions. So if you do chose to rollback you can only use your 2.0.x backup to restore. For what its worth I havent had any problems with any of my existing apps. The only "bug" so far is that it wont charge via the usb cable when connecting to my PC.

All the app compatibiliy warnings are just typical disclaimer entries to cover RIM.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

There are no negative impacts to installing it. RIM put it out there as a "developer" beta but if they really didn't want just anyone installing it they would have made it harder to get.

Lionel is correct about backups. If you make a backup with any newer OS it will not install on an older OS. It was the same with .668 so if you made a backup with that it won't restore to .358. The same goes for this OS. Always save your old backups just in case you decide to revert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

I also installed 2.1 beta. Had some kind of hickup with Bluetooth - it got stuck on Bluetooth ON. Could not turn it off. After restarting the PB the problem is gone.

So far all my apps work OK. As far as I can tell power consumption was not effected. Remember we all use our PB differently. So the discharge field will also be unique. Charge on the desktop cradle was fast.

The only noticable difference is that now each (converted!) Andriod app runs in its own window. 

As a suggestion, maybe that we should start a new thread to discuss versions of beta OS.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Yeah, for discusion of the beta this isn't the thread. For those on .668 and unable to restore their backup to .358 the update to the beta is a good option. That's why I posted about it in this thread.

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your quick responses....I have finally downloaded the Beta OS yesterday evening...It took good amount of time though as the size of the download was more than 450 mb.

So far did not see any problems....the entire data including Email Accounts/saved WiFi connections etc... were intact...the only difference felt was when you start native email app...the refresh ring which use to appear in earlier version is missing now....but for Calendar App....it still visible....

More feedback can be now on new thread....as suggested by you all....

Thanks once again.....

Guru II

Happy to help.

Good luck!