Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

Re: PlayBook OS v2.0.1.668 now available

Anyone having camera issues with 2.0.1.668?

A little preface - we have two PlayBooks.

My wife's on OS 2.0.1.668

Mine on OS 2.0.1.358

Last Friday night (Sept 21) my wife was video chatting with her sister for a couple of minutes and then her sister told her that my wife's image was 'frozen'.  My wife closed the video chat app and tried to reopen it and saw the message

'Unable to connect to the Video Chat Service'.

She then rebooted the PlayBook and was once again greeted with a 'Unable to connect to the Video Chat Service' message when trying to launch the Video Chat app.

Also when trying the 'Camera' app on its own there was a message saying 'Camera Error
The camera is in use. Close any other instances of the camera and try again'.  

I then tried to do a complete backup of her PlayBook using Desktop Manager but the backup kept crashing and erroring out (not the PlayBook but the DM software).

I then tried to backup the 'Apps' on their own but the bakup kept crashing again.

I was able to backup the 'Settings' and 'Media' on their own without any errors but was not able to backup the 'Apps'

I did a security wipe and started with a 'fresh image' and was able to do a full backup with DM.

But the cameras still did not work - both Video Chat and Camera on its own.

I managed to roll the OS back to 2.0.1.358 (same as what is on my PlayBook) by holding the power button while connected to DM and choose 'repair' but still have the camera issues and now cannot restore the backup data because of the 'newer' backup on the older OS. 

I registered to get the 2.1 Beta on her PlayBook but have not recieved the upgrade notice yet.

So long story short - no cameras yet on her PlayBook.  Mine is still working fine.

Not sure if it is hardware related or software related - I did read posts from others that seemed to say the cameras would work again when reverting back to a really old OS but I cannot confirm.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

You don't have to "wait" for the update. Just go into the Settings >Software Updates and check for updates. It should show up.

If that doesn't fix the camera then it may be a hardware problem and you should contact RIM for support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Yeah I tried checking for updates and it does not show up.
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

You might try whitelisting it again. Maybe you got the pin wrong. it usually shows up almost immediately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Solutions: 6,376
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I've read of few others whose update didn't appear quickly... go register your PIN again.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Well still no luck getting the upgrade to 2.1 - I tried on both my PlayBook and my wife's....

Tell me what you've done... let's see what we can help out with.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Last time I tried to get the 2.1 beta for a second PlayBook, it was not available. I thought RIM removed it.

My PlayBook has the 2.1 beta. I am doing the full PlayBook data encryption. Wonder if it encrypts music files too?

As far as I know, or have read/heard, RIM still has the 2.1 beta available, it has not been pulled.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I tried to register both of my PlayBooks to whitelist them for the 2.1 os but the update does not appear.