Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Re: PlayBook OS version 2.1.0.1753 available

JustMeTLB wrote:
Thanks for offer - been there, done that before. Unfortunately I have discovered USB not working on this particular PlayBook. (so I am off and away repairing it. - RIM had such a wonderful design, to mess it up on inferior parts/connector - not the 1st time I have been here either)

You have a point here. Some genius at BlackBerry decided to break ranks with 'standards' and marked the USB connectors they sent with the devices with the BlackBerry logo on the top instead of the USB "Y" which tipically indicates the top of the connector. BlackBerry put this symbol on the BOTTOM of their cables. This must have caused a lot of accidental damage to the USB connector on several PlayBooks when users tried to connect the cables to the already finicky connector upside down. 

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: tracfone

Strickly a guess but I would say 50K to 100K PlayBooks returned to RIM right of the package because eager people, like kids in a candy shop, shoved the plug in upside down. (yes you can almost easily do that, and it seems to go, until you realize it does not work. ) RIM put on cheap rectangular USB connectors - they are supposed to be 'D' shaped, keyed so they can't be inverted. (it was invented D on purpose, and RIM managed to defeat it by paying a nickel instead of a dime for the most critical people interface part.)  Can't imagine how many XXXXk got returned total within the 1 year warranty period because of the USB (not even knowing it was the USB - "it just won't charge...). Then there is how they mounted the USB... (it is a wonder any lasted a year!). Then there is the fact that RIM came up with an impressive power port design, all wasted on the fact that you had to buy them optional - if you could find them at the beginning, costing an extra $80, after spending your last dime coming up with the money to get that fancy PlayBook. Makes you wonder if the make/break of the PlayBook was actually because of the USB. (Here is a nightmare thought: RIM comes up with PLAYBOOK2, and some guy says "hey, we've got a whole wearhouse full of these USB connectors..." ...)

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yea, it could have been even 5,000 or 500.

We don't know.

Anyway, this is discussion is again offtopic.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

My 8 year old kids have used their playbooks for over 2 years now with out breaking the USB or HDMI connector.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

[ Edited ]

which goes to prove that kids are better than some adults with their toys.

Contributor

UPDATE: my other Playbook (with 1753 update) now has a sporadic ERROR-4003 when trying to use the camera . It appears to be a memory usage problem. HELLO RIM, you have got things to fix.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

most 4003 errors needed to have device sent back in under warranty, i have no idea of the exact issue with it.

I did see one post before that a wipe fixed it, but it does not always work

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

I can only remember one post where a reload of OS fixed it, ane one post where 4003 was temporarily created by having two camera apps open. Every other case of 4003 I have read was permanent hardware failure needing repair at the factory.

My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Poof - hardware failure was not likely related to OS update. (It would be a hell of a coincidence for the hardware to fail at the time of OS upgrade. ) 

My vote is on the software got messed up. The only solution to this problem we know of is debricking the PlayBook. 

On a related note.  I wonder how many problems and frustration with OS upgrades were caused by not enough juice in the battery and/or poor wifi connection.  

On a totally unrelated note. Primarily for our Canadian members. On page 9 of the September 23, 2013 issue of McLean's Magazine Rogers has a full page ad showing a PlayBook and a Q10 with the copy saying "Give your business a competitive edge. " Hmm......  

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

godot2011 wrote:

Poof - hardware failure was not likely related to OS update. (It would be a hell of a coincidence for the hardware to fail at the time of OS upgrade. ) 

My vote is on the software got messed up. The only solution to this problem we know of is debricking the PlayBook. 

On a related note.  I wonder how many problems and frustration with OS upgrades were caused by not enough juice in the battery and/or poor wifi connection.  

On a totally unrelated note. Primarily for our Canadian members. On page 9 of the September 23, 2013 issue of McLean's Magazine Rogers has a full page ad showing a PlayBook and a Q10 with the copy saying "Give your business a competitive edge. " Hmm......  

Poof??

Search the forums and you will find many, many reports of 4003 errors following updates and 99% of them are hardware needing repairs. ONE post on this forum confirmed a 4003 repaired by debrick.  I remember having a not nice correspondence with that person. 

Whether the 4003 hardware faults occured as a result of the updates, or they were only noticed when testing after an update is not clear.

What is clear is that all but one 4003 discussed on here and on Crackberry are hardware.  They cannot be repaired at home.

You can however temporarily create a 4003 by software by running the standard camera app and the paid-for Andanced Camera app at the same time.  That is reversible without needing a debrick.