Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Curve 8520 and BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bharti Airtel

PlayBooks in India - Accessing the internet without WiFi.

Hi folks! Hope yojr respective BBs are doing great, and serving your purposes too with elan! :-)

Now, coming straight to the point, here in India, we do not have WiFi Hotspots located at every nook and corner, but our mobile internet usage charges and plans are going down by the day, and that's real good news! That's the reason why 1 out of 5 people here use tablets, and 1 out of 3 people use internet on cellphones and other mobile devices, and almost every user is subscribed to one internet usage plan as deemed fit! :-)

So, my Android 10-incher suddenly seemed too bulky to be carried around daily, I decided to buy myself a 7-incher. And being a BB phone user and considering my experience with Android (not that it's bad, but more due to the device it was on) (well, the greater reason was the slashed prices of the BB PBs! :-D), a few days of pondering and research later, I got myself the 64GB version of the PB. And boy, was I happy!!

Now, due to the job I'm in, I am required to have internet access all the time, but a Pocket WiFi Router is not the best bet. So hooked up my BB phone via the Bridge, and my first hurdle showed up. Without the PB connected to a WiFi network, the browser showed this : "Your wireless service provider does not allow sharing your phone's internet connection."...... Usual jargon! Called up the Customer Care, heard they don't support PB issues, routed to BB Support, and thus ended up being played like ping-pong between Airtel Support and BB Support. As usual, with all customers...... :-)

Thus, to hell with Customer Services, we users know our devices better! Played around a bit with the ineternet tethering, and got the internet working without WiFi. Here's how (**STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY MUTATIS MUTANDIS** **PLEASE PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK** **I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANYTHING UNTOWARD OR NEGATIVE OR OTHERWISE HARMFUL THAT MAY OCCUR WITH YOUR DEVICE(S)**) :

1. If you have a cellphone which can be used as a modem to connect to the internet via Bluetooth, like any BB, or Android phone, or the Nokia E-, C- or other series, switch on its bluetooth (I personally tested it with a BB Curve 8520, Nokia E-72, Samsung Galaxy S and Note, and an Xperia Arc).

2. Contact your Service Provider and get a GPRS / 2G / 3G data pack activated on your connection as required (otherwise usage charges incurred may lead to atleast hypertension and anger mis-management! :-D).

3. Switch on Bluetooth on the PB.

4. On the PB, at the main screen, slide down the menu and search for "Internet Tethering" (Should be the 9th option from the top and the option below "Blackberry Bridge").

5. Select "Internet Tethering", and it should prompt for searching for a device. Initiate a Bluetooth search, and take all steps necessary to aid the PB to "see" your phone, like switching on Bluetooth Discovery on the phone, if required / ndcessary.

6. Once the PB has found your phone, select the carrier you are subscribed to from the list, select it and click "Continue". An on-screen prompt should show that the connection is being authenticated (accept any prompts to connect on your cellphone), acquiring an I.P. Address, and, if all goes well, then you should be able to connect to the internet from your phone now!

P.S. - Please disconnect from any WiFi network when using the above method, or best, switch off WiFi, otherwise, although your PB will be connected to the phone, the device will not be able to use the internet and will display errors.

Well, that's it! So enjoy your time with the PB, a great device! Stay safe, and God Bless. Peace......