Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Playbook 2.0 cannot connect to Gmail

Do you use GMail's (Google's) 2-factor authentication?  If so, def turn it off. That's my takeaway. Good luck!

— Jeff

Contributor
My Device: playbook 32 and torch
My Carrier: rogers

I tried that as well and no luck. What has me puzzled is it worked yesterday fine but today no worky???
Contributor

what are you using for the "server Address" ?

Mine is default at m.google.com
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 64GB; PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Bell Canada

My incident about Gmail has be escalated to Level 2 Support and he is discussing the log files of my failed attempts to get Gmail running correctly with product development.  The good news: I now know that OS 2 keeps log files of everything and that the logs can be uploaded to an active incident if it has been escalated to Level 2.

I'll post the findings in 2-4 working days.

A

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I just setup my GMail account and did this

remove current gmail account

then add new account

choose email, calendar, contacts

choose advanced setup

Choose Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync

- Description, put what you want to describe it

- Leave domain blank

- User name will be your user name on gmail

- Use your email address for email address
- Use m.google.com for server address

click on save and enjoy

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

I have tried this method as well and still not working. I don't know what next to try. I need this to work.
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 64GB; PlayBook 16GB

I found the cause of my Gmail problem on my own. It is an interesting quirk of Gmail IDs. I have always used either of the two methods of signing onto Gmail interchangeably: One is to use the full Gmail account ID, I.e., "firstname.lastname@gmail.com". Notice the "dot" between the parts. Gmail access via a browser also accepts "firstnamelastname@gmail.com" WITHOUT the "dot". The Playbook, however, assumes you want ALL the capability of Gmail including Contacts and Calendar, and I think these functions run on different Google servers and that the Calendar and Contacts function only accepts the "real" Gmail account ID. Apparently the Email function at Google is OK with the alternate form of the ID but the other functions are not, so for me, all I could ever get is email activated on the Playbook when using the "no-dot" ID. I have tested adding Gmail accounts using both methods alternatively, and the ID with the dot always gives me all three functions, and creating without the dot always enables only email. I will be confirming the details of my assumptions with Playbook Support after they review the new logs of the two types of account setup for Gmail that I have sent them. Hopefully this helps others who have had the same "no calendar or contacts" problem.
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Downloaded the new version and it worked yesterday but not today...frustrated

Visitor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I also used Google's two-step authentication and had problems with the password.

Eventually, I found that the following steps will re-create the problem:

1. Start with no accounts on the PB.
  2. Create an application-specific password for the PB, in Google.
  3. Add a new GMAIL account on the PB, using the application-specific password.
  4. Take defaults (i.e.leave the default of Sync email, calendar, contacts) to finish the setup.
  5. At this point, I can run email all day long with no problems.

But, ...,  as soon as I go into either one of the PB calendar or contacts apps, I get a failed password message within five to ten minutes.

Then, after I reset my Google account and then click on "Save" in the PB account setup, the PB says that everything is ok, At this point, I can send email from the PB email app but I can't receive it.  The only way to get it working again is to delete all of the accounts on the PB and go back to step 1, above.

If I turn off two-factor and do the same setup (using my Google password instead of the app-specific password, of course), then I can use email, calendar and contacts without a problem.

Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: none

so that explains why I did not have any problem so far, as I went for the simplistic regular goggle password approach to setup the PB account