Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: playbook 32 and torch
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Playbook 2.0 cannot connect to Gmail

I got it. I did a complete wipe and started fresh. Installed my gmail account and got the calander and mail to work. Then I set up my twitter and facebook accounts and that caused trouble. The gmail account stopped working, could not log in, it kept asking for my username and password every 2 seconds. So I did another system wipe, and set up just the gmail account and everything works great. Seems like there is a glitch between the twitter account and gmail account somewhere. I can live with this for now but it would be nice if it worked right.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 64GB; PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Contact Playbook Support. They actually respond quite quickly on the phone and will accept your call under the 90 day free support period, even if you bought the Playbook on sale some months ago.  The 1st line person had be provide the serial # for the device and enabled the 90 day support option.  I then entered the serial # online and it was accepted.

Playbook Support seem very interested in helping, perhaps a bit too much so.  It took a few calls and my insisting that I did not have a user problem setting up the device before they would escalate to 2nd level support.  Once escalated, the technical support person was very knowledgeable and quickly collected log information from the device to do further analysis.

I have also struggled with Gmail account setup (as I have documented elsewhere).  I think that if more people reported problems RIM would KNOW there is a Gmail account problem or set of problems and address them.

A

jeffyerkey wrote:

Well RIM BlackBerry Playbook 2.0 is here and it's dissapointing to learn that it is just as big a pile of %Y%#  as 1.X.  

Cannot set up Gmail through any of numerous different ways. (Gmail, IMAP, Exchange... you name it.)  All different ways generate all different kinds of errors such as cannot connect at this or username and password is wrong.

It's really great to see we waited 8 months for nothing.

Anyone have any helpful ideas?

— Jeff

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Try deleting the Gmail profile on PB and then re install it.
TAJ
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

My gmail account only worked in the Messages app for a day or two, then stopped. Hasn't worked since. I don't use 2-factor auth. for my Google accounts, so that's a red herring, at least for me. This is obviously an imap integration issue as the GMail web app connects and authenticates fine on the PB, as it does on all my other devices.

I gave up using the Messages app. It's a fail. Like the PB itself.

The Desktop app has only successfully connected once to the PB, never since. (sigh)   Some products just work. This isn't one of them.

..TJ

Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: none

mine continues to work without any glitch whatsoever.

any chance that you set to limit gmail/ google  to login on only one device and you already login else where when you use PB's Message?

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: 442073527007

This is actually a GMAIL issue, not a Playbook problem. To fix, simply click on the following google URL. Enter your GMAIL password. Wait 10 minutes and then reboot your playbook. GMAIL will then work normally 

https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Weird...deleting didn't work yesterday but I did it again and today it worked...Gmail back up and running thanks 

My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

playbookaddict wrote:

This is actually a GMAIL issue, not a Playbook problem. To fix, simply click on the following google URL. Enter your GMAIL password. Wait 10 minutes and then reboot your playbook. GMAIL will then work normally 

https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha

Thanks. That did it. I use the two step verification also. No need to wait 10 minutes or reboot either.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Wind

Bang on! Thanks!
New Contributor
My Carrier: None

Nope.  Tried resetting via Gmail, have account currently deleted and it always fails in the settings config pane after I've added in my credentials and touch the "Continue" button:  I get

"The server m.google.com for account (emailaddress) is not responding.  The server name in your account settings might be incorrect, or the server might be temporarily offline.  Check your settings to make sure the server name is correct and try again."

Disappointing to see this thread persist for so long - also disappointing to see this problem continue, unresolved.  Looks like my first BB device will be my last BB device, the ASUS Transformer Prime looks like a better option at this point, or maybe wait for the ASUS Transformer Infinity - there just isn't enough market attention to BB anymore, and it would appear the BB dev team is overloaded with keeping up.  Too bad - good company, good people, just maybe not enough runway left.

Sigh.

Tom