Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: playbook 4G LTE
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Playbook 3G micro-sim blocked on network MM#6

Hi,

I am in India and a friend recently gifted me a playbook. I have tried using 3G(4G sims are still not very popular here!!) micro sim cards from 2 network providers from India and in both cases I get "Network Error(MM#6). The device has been blocked on the network. "

The troubleshooting i have done so far:

1. The device does not have any operator branding or logos on the device. Even in the software there is no mention of it being locked onto any network.(However if there is a way to identify that, it would be awesome). It allows you to manually scan for networks and even attempts to register on a network.

2. I had read on some online forums that there is an imei number under the SIM tray. In my device I cannot find an IMEI number anywhere. Neither in the settings, nor under the SIM tray.

3. I contacted my network service. In India they still do not have the facility to block IMEI on stolen devices so they assured me that the device was not specifically blocked. However they said that if the device did not have a valid IMEI number it would not be able to connect to the network.

4. I do not mind taking up blackberry incident based support to get this fixed, but if this is a known problem with no solution possible, I do not wish to waste the time of the support team and my $49.

So it would be really awesome if someone could point me in the right direction as to what to do next.

Thanks

V

New Contributor

Re: Playbook 3G micro-sim blocked on network MM#6

Ah never mind, seems like a sprint locked device, based on other posts in the forum. Sorry for the trouble.
Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

vipinr wrote:
Ah never mind, seems like a sprint locked device, based on other posts in the forum. Sorry for the trouble.

I was just about to tell you that.

For some reason, in the past 4-6 weeks there have been an onslaught of questions from India about Sprint -sold Playbooks with the SIM card. It's like Sprint or someone is selling them over there to get rid of inventory.

Your PlayBook will work great on WiFi only.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

No wonder I got one as a gift!!

Although I have been looking at some online literature, like this one http://n4bb.com/how-to-unlock-4g-lte-blackberry-playbook/ that suggest using SIM security settings to enter network unlock code.

Funny thing is, my device does not ask me for a network unlock code, it detects my SIM fine and even shows my carrier name. It just wont register.

Is there a surefire way of making sure if its locked?

Cheers

1. Airtel will need to put the device IMEI in their database for data recognition. They probably will not do that. You can ask.

2. You must get what is known as a MSL code from Sprint. MSL = Master Subsidy Lock. This is different than unlocking a normal phone from a different carrier like Vodafone or Tmobile or Airtel. Only Sprint locks their devices with this different code. The code can only come from Sprint.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Great Pointers JSanders! Thanks.

Given a snowball's chance, if I do manage to get the MSL, do you have any idea what I can do with it ? I mean what is the procedure to unlock.

As for Airtel, I cant even find my IMEI on this device, so I have no idea what IMEI should I ask them to add. There are all these keycodes for phones, but there seems to be very less literature on how to do it on a playbook.

That Sprint device will not have a IEMI.

It will have a MEID number, that's a difference in GSM model phones and Sprint model phones.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry playbook 4G LTE
My Carrier: Idea

Hi I am

also facing the same problem on my blackberry playbook 4G LTE. Tablet error. Code MM#6 please give me solution 

New Contributor

Well the solution is to live with it, and use the tablet on wifi.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry playbook 4G LTE
My Carrier: Idea

Are you sure or any other option is not available