Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Playbook Backup Stopping Mid-Stream???

[ Edited ]

I have just run into this today that the backup of my Playbook fails - every time. When I first got the Playbook it backed up no problem but I have to admit that I hadn't tried it under the new update. Has anyone else had this problem. My Playbook was updated to the latest OS version and I believe the Blackberry Desktop Software program has been updated also in that time.

Any information or help would be appreciated. I assume if it is a universal problem it will be fixed in a subsequent update.

And one more quick question (probably dumb) but I noticed that when my Playbook was connected to the computer it was not charging. Is that right - the Playbook can only be charged by connecting to a charger and wall socket? It does not charge when connected to a computer?

Thanks in advance.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Playbook Backup Stopping Mid-Stream???

bbfolgart wrote:

I have just run into this today that the backup of my Playbook fails - every time. When I first got the Playbook it backed up no problem but I have to admit that I hadn't tried it under the new update. Has anyone else had this problem. My Playbook was updated to the latest OS version and I believe the Blackberry Desktop Software program has been updated also in that time.

Any information or help would be appreciated. I assume if it is a universal problem it will be fixed in a subsequent update.

And one more quick question (probably dumb) but I noticed that when my Playbook was connected to the computer it was not charging. Is that right - the Playbook can only be charged by connecting to a charger and wall socket? It does not charge when connected to a computer?

Thanks in advance.

Try restarting your playbook before doing a backup. worked for me.

A PC can charge a playbook when in standby, but it will be slow.

More info here

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Lithium-battery-myths-dispelled/td-p/1043...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

It's apparently a known issue that backups involving app code+data that are more than 1GB (or less... others see the issue with about 670MB) will fail like that. Nothing to do about it except wait for a fix, or possibly remove some unused apps or clear their data to get the combined total down below 1GB or less. I'd do that only if I had critical data needing backup... personally I'm just waiting.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

interesting, I have multi backups stored

609 meg

673 meg

718 meg

Why it works for me and not him eludes me.

I will try to get some more apps to go beyond 1 gig.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Just throwing this out there, I ran in to the same problem (playbook backup stopping mid-stream) until I changed how I plugged my PB into my computer.  That is, my playbook was plugged into a USB hub (that had several other things, including, I think, a USB 1.1 wireless keyboard and mouse receiver) and when I moved it so that it was plugged directly into a USB 2.0 port on my computer, the backup worked fine.

Developer

@knottyrope, are those totals including media? Or just the total for apps (code + app data)?

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Guru III
My Device:

[ Edited ]

is from doing a complete backup.

I am in process of doing one now with a few gig of movies.

817 MB app data

8.21 gig media

1.07 settings.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Telus

Mine was connected directly to the USB on my Dell monitor. The conneciton worked fine when I got the PB so I don't know why it wouldn't now. I will try a USB connection on my computer to see if it makes a difference.

THX

Guru III
My Device:

9 gig total backup successful

Developer

@knottyrope, now try installing enough extra apps that your app total goes over, say, 1.1GB, and try again, even without the media this time. If it works for you, you'll be the first I've heard of to succeed.