Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Issue with upgrade to the latest version (1.4.6)

Hi All,
I have an ongoing problem with the Blackberry AppWorld update process.
It looks like in some cases application installation process is failing to download and unpack all required modules.
This issue happens intermittently in about 10-15% of all upgrades and I'm still trying to figure out the root cause.
I was able to recreate the problem on my devices only once so far and there was no errors in an application nor system log files, some files simply were not unpacked from the new BAR file.

There are few steps I could recommend to fix the issue with 1.4.6 that have been confirmed by other users (some required only step 1, some 1 and 2m and some really had to re-install the app):

1. First of all, try to use toggle reader's skin using new skin selection button in a reading mode. This will recreate one of the missing files and the reader might work again as expected.
2. If not, please try to go to the Settings screen, scroll to the last configuration option and tap on "Reset the Reader" button.
3. Unfortunately, if instructions above will not solve the issue, you would need to delete and re-install the application from the Blackberry World (you will not be charged again).

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Igor
Untangled Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: EE

Re: Playbook Book Reader

Thank you for your prompt reply regarding your updates charging policy  - much appreciated.

I guessed (and hoped) that the situation would be as you have explained, and the problem therefore lies with the Playbook updating process, which I'll take up with them.

It seems to me that part of the process knew that it was merely an update, and that I already had the previous version of the App installed, but another part of the process, when it came to authenticate (and subsequently go to the payment process) through Blackberry, thought the upgrade was actually a "first-time" installation. Weird, but I accept nothing to do with you, and I've seen other strange issues about updating (other) Apps on other threads, so it's one for Blackberry to fix, not the developer of a very good App!

Best regards,

Contributor
My Carrier: N/A

Thank you and I still advise you to send an e-mail to the AppWorld support team - they should be able to issue a refund.

Regards,

Igor

Untangled Development

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

emails are a waste of time. They don't take phone calls.

there is a Refund link that has already been mentioned in another thread.

https://consumersupport.webapps.blackberry.com/blackberrycommerce/main?ln=en

My Carrier: Optimum

[ Edited ]

I only needed to contact BB once, and they were very responsive. They not only replied, but scheduled a time to talk on the phone several times.

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

susgeek wrote:

I only needed to contact BB once, and they were very responsive. They not only replied, but scheduled a time to talk on the phone several times.

You talking about Blackberry support or Blackberry World Refunds department?