Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Torch & Playbook 64 Gig
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Playbook Disappointment

Dale, I tested my playbook & your statements are false.

I took a picture and logged into my email (yahoo) via the browser and could add pictures taken from playbook (and any pic) as an attachment.  The playbook also alllowed me to attach documents (word, excel, pdf).  So either you don't know how to use the playbook or more likely never had 1.

Also as per native email on a playbook, I for 1 do not think it is needed.  I prefer the 'bridge' feature.  I think it is great.  I get all my email and BB functions via playbook.  Unbridge it and let my kids surf or play a game with ZERO fear that they may delete an important contact or email.  That can't be said of my iPad.

Sorry,... Dale but your post doesn't hold water.

David.

Visitor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Telus

I also tried logging in to yahoo, and found it easy to upload files and forward them. I didn't try any other clients though.

You might need to update you os. there should be an icon in the top right of your screen that lets you know if you have updates, just minimize your programs to check.

If the playbook isn't right for you, you should take it back. the wifi version is perfect for users who have a Blackberry, or are just looking for a nice easy tablet to work and browse on. it sounds like you are looking for more than this tablet will offer you for now though, and you should probably wait for a version that better fits your needs.

Sorry to hear the salesman over stated the email. At least it's only a tablet, you should have seen my old car.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Apologies, I (and others) made the assumption that you knew. It's always wise to do research before buying any product, trusting the word of a salesperson is always going to result in problems.

You should go and complain to the store manager. Your complaints here are STILL unfounded, nobody at RIM ever lied to you about the PlayBook's capabilities.

In response to the administrator's comments, I don't think there have been any personal attacks, simply frustration with yet ANOTHER post about how the PlayBook doesn't do what it has been officially stated NOT to do. Instead, posters should write more positive threads letting RIM know that they're returning the PlayBook BECAUSE it doesn't do what it says it doesn't do, and because updates are slow to arrive for these features.

FYI, I haven't bought a PlayBook yet because it doesn't have certain features that it will have in the future (according to RIM) or that it MAY have (thanks to a 3rd party developer). I'm only planning to buy it if and when these features are enabled. If they're never there, my money will never leave my pocket, it's as simple as that. Consider making the same decision in the future.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

sorry to hear your purchase experience makes you think less of the playbook. it is unfortunate that the sales person was unable to offer correct information. i hope you can use the forums to your advantage going forward to put you at ease with functions you cant live with out for your current needs

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

Disappointed as well.

Background- testing tablets for work, company paid for the hardware.  I’ve had a Blackberry phone prior to my current droid, very fond of the droid over what I had.

Previous to the playbook I tested an ipad.  Loved it.  It did everything with ease, apps market was huge, was able to connect to corporate email without a hitch.

As I said, I also have a droid phone, love it, love the apps market.

So… I’m handed the Playbook and off I go.  Very disappointed that it has no corporate email integration, no BES server connectivity, no active sync.  Makes me think this was rushed to market and that feeling hasn’t gone away.  OWA for email?  Come on BB, you need to do better than that.  If BES integration isn’t working you should have at least gone with active sync, something, anything, please, OWA?  Are you serious?

Apps market, very very disappointed.   Note current phone, apps market is huge on the droid.  Porting over will take a very long time if it ever happens at all.  Ported software will likely add a layer of functional problems to boot.  Do you, RIM, have any idea how frustrating it is that an app on my phone isn’t available in any form on the BB app world?  Searches for typical apps return unrelated or dismally few choices.  Marketing folks, what were you thinking?  Trying to differentiate yourself from the competition by having the least choice for your customers? 

I’ll give this some time, so far I’m less than impressed and i'm not seeing much hope that this will change.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

ttice01 wrote:

Disappointed as well.

Background- testing tablets for work, company paid for the hardware.  I’ve had a Blackberry phone prior to my current droid, very fond of the droid over what I had.

Previous to the playbook I tested an ipad.  Loved it.  It did everything with ease, apps market was huge, was able to connect to corporate email without a hitch.

As I said, I also have a droid phone, love it, love the apps market.

So… I’m handed the Playbook and off I go.  Very disappointed that it has no corporate email integration, no BES server connectivity, no active sync.  Makes me think this was rushed to market and that feeling hasn’t gone away.  OWA for email?  Come on BB, you need to do better than that.  If BES integration isn’t working you should have at least gone with active sync, something, anything, please, OWA?  Are you serious?

Native email client coming this summer and full BES support too is coming with no extra CAL costs if already a BES user.

Apps market, very very disappointed.   Note current phone, apps market is huge on the droid.  Porting over will take a very long time if it ever happens at all. 

No code rewriting, they ran demos with no modes to actual code ona  few driod apps at BBWC11

Ported software will likely add a layer of functional problems to boot.  Do you, RIM, have any idea how frustrating it is that an app on my phone isn’t available in any form on the BB app world?  Searches for typical apps return unrelated or dismally few choices.  Marketing folks, what were you thinking?  Trying to differentiate yourself from the competition by having the least choice for your customers? 

I’ll give this some time, so far I’m less than impressed and i'm not seeing much hope that this will change.

I love what it does so far. I am excited to see the thngs that are coming in the future for it as well.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

It sounds like the OP isn't going to be happy with the Playbook. Although the browser works well with accessing gmail.com, hotmail.com, etc. and it looks great, it sounds like the OP should return the device and go with another platform.

Also, to the OP, be sure to try the browser auto-zoom, multitasking, multi-browser usage before you finally return the product.
My take is that it's beneficial to stick with the playbook, learn the environment, and when the native email support comes it'd be a non-event (at least for me, since i use the playbook browser to access mail.)

Personally, I like the device over others due to size, hardware specs, and bridge with the BB.
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------