Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

Playbook Limitations

I just got a Playbook a little over a week ago and I must say I'm a little disappointed. I tried to download some ebooks from amazon.com and there wasn't an app to allow my playbook to access kindle books. Oddly enough, there was an app for my Bold to access kindle ebooks. I got the Playbook because it complimented my smartphone but now that I have used it for a bit I find its not very complimentary. And why on earth would blackberry sponsor a show on the SyFy channel but not have an app for its own products to sync to the show?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Playbook Limitations

Unless or until playbooks get os 10.2 you will have to sideload the kindle app

it is here

http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook/blackberry-playbook-reading-and-news-apps/?did=179

Another way that works with WiFi on Windows, Intel Macs and Linux.

You install Chrome browser on your computer that you are using to download and sideload apps to Playbook.

Then you add the extension 'Playbook App Manager' from Chrome's Spanner, then Settings, Extensions, then Get More Extensions (or Gallery if you have none yet)

Download the required .bar file from Goodereader.com (Playbook Apps)

Have both computer and Playbook connected by wifi to your router. (No usb cable!)

Ensure File Sharing and wifi sharing are enabled in Playbook (Settings, Storage and Sharing)

Put the Playbook in Development Mode (Settings, Security, Development Mode) and add a password, preferably your normal Playbook password.

Look at the IP address of the playbook by tapping the Development Mode icon when you top corner swipe.

It will begin 192.168. when using wifi.

Go to Chrome in the computer and go Spanner, Settings, Extensions, then select “Options” in Playbook App Manager.

Type the IP address you noted in Device Hostnames/IP

Click Save

Click on the IP address where it says ‘manage your devices’.

Ignore the big red warning and click “Proceed Anyway”

Enter your password you added in dev mode and click Log In.

A list of all playbook apps will appear.

Click on the Install button

Go to the folder where you downloded the .bar file from goodereader.com and click on open.

The app will be sideloaded.