Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32Gb
My Carrier: None - WiFi only

Playbook - M4V files won't play since oS v2.1.0.1032

Since loading the latest OS upgrade, M4V videos that I had loaded from my PC will no longer play - I just get the message"This file type isn't supported".

These are videos that used to play without issue - now the MP4 and AVI videos play, but not M4V.

Have I missed something?

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: Playbook - M4V files won't play since oS v2.1.0.1032

[ Edited ]

macliam wrote:

Since loading the latest OS upgrade, M4V videos that I had loaded from my PC will no longer play - I just get the message"This file type isn't supported".

These are videos that used to play without issue - now the MP4 and AVI videos play, but not M4V.

Have I missed something?

Try renaming one from .m4v to .mp4

(taken from another site: Non-DRMed .m4v IS a .mp4; the only change required is renaming them.
If it's got DRM, you'll need something that removes DRM.)

Also, any .m4v file that is encoded with AC3 audio will not work on many non iOS devices (like the PlayBook). It could be the AC3 audio that's screwing things up. In that case you will need to transcode the video file into a format that works on the PlayBook.

I think it's the AC3 audio (a Dolby proprietary audio format which requires licensing and PlayBook doesn't support it).

Here is a direct link to the supported media from the PlayBook OS guide. Check pages 11-12 of 53

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/27267/Supported_Media_Types_on_BlackBerr...

Update: Found some potentially useful information in the thread I was reviewing:

"There are two free PC programs I use. MediaInfo will tell you what the audio and video codecs your file uses before transferring to your PB. The second is Xvid4PSP, which will allow you to convert a full length movie in 7 to 10 minutes. Set video to "copy" and audio to AAC (or MP3)."

Contributor

Uhh... as I said in my post, these M4V files used to play on the Playbook, now they don't ..... so nothing to do with DRM, AC3 or anything else.

Just renaming them to MP4 doesn't work.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

macliam wrote:

Uhh... as I said in my post, these M4V files used to play on the Playbook, now they don't ..... so nothing to do with DRM, AC3 or anything else.

Just renaming them to MP4 doesn't work.

Well there won't be a quick fix so your options are limited so transcode or wait. Flash 11.xxx (whatever it is) no longer works properly either.

Contributor

OK - just wanted to check I wasn't going mad as I can't see anyone else complaining.

Looks like BB dropped the ball on this one ..... accidentally or deliberately.

Meanwhile converting all to MP4s using a video converter and reloading. Name of converter appears to be blocked, but it takes 10-15  minutes compared to hours witt other programs,

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 9723939787

Having the same problem here.  So frustrating.  Playbook is a POS.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 and Playbook
My Carrier: Wind Mobility

Same problem here.  Playbook won't play my MP4s that I brought to my parents for Xmas Smiley Sad   I'm on 2.1.0.1314.

RIM - would you please address this?  

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: MTS

Same problem. All my movies are no longer playing. I hope it is a bug. I loved playbook, because it could play almost all popular movie formats without converting them on PC. If RIM removed those features from Playbook then it becomes useless. Is there any way to downgrade playbook?

Please click the Thumbs Up icon if this comment has helped you! If your issue is resolved, please click the solution button on the resolution!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

it is not possible to downgrade your PlayBook OS.

Can you please download on your PC the software called "GSpot Codec Information Appliance, and open that video with it ?

And copy here the information regarding the video codec. I would like to find a link between all those m4v unreadable files.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 9723939787

Here are 2:

XviD ISO MPEG-4

H.264/MPEG-4 AVC