Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Playbook Microphone Problem...

I've had my playbook for a few months, maybe 7 or so months, not sure exactly, but, since the OS2 update, my microphone(s) are completely non-functional, in both the video camera and the voice notes, it's nothing but static/white noise.  I just completed a wipe and it's now updating to OS2 again, and the issue persisted through the wipe.  I presume that's indicative of a hardware error.  since it originally came from best buy, what do I need to do to have a warranty replacement done?  I'd really prefer NOT to be without my playbook (even with the limitation on functionality) for however long  it takes to ship the old one back and get it fixed and ship back to me or a replacement.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Playbook Microphone Problem...

It is under warranty. The turnaround time is very quick. Call RIM Support. It is likely a software problem. You might want to try the three button reset. Hold down the Power Button and both volume buttons at the same time for 15 seconds and then wait 1 minute then hold the power button only until the red light flashes then release it and wait for the PB to reboot which will be about 4 minutes.
Here is the RIM Support. InfoRim Support
Tel:
Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com
(UK Support) 0800 096 2805
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

I did a full Security Reset/Software Wipe/OS Reinstall and it didn't clear the issue....I have a hunch that the "reboot" won't either, but, I'll give that a try. Thanks
New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: 02

[ Edited ]

the issue is a hardware issue as the right hand microphone is connected to the same ribbon connector that the earphone jack uses and if you record a 10 second video and for the last 5 seconds squeeze (with a firm squeeze) the playbook right where the microphone is you will see in the playback that this eliminates the "static" and normal sound is resumed ....... the only problem now is getting blackberry (rim) to accept this as a common fault as there are currently no spare parts for a diy fix it would have to be returned to rim europe which is fine if you have a warranty but not if your like me and own a secondhand unit  ........if anyone gets an ansewr for a spare parts supplier please let us know