Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook; Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: China Mobile

Playbook Not Connecting to Laptop

Hello all,

Well, I've been looking around and I haven't found a solution yet, so here I am practically begging for help out of frustration.

Like many other users, I cannot seem to connect my Blackberry Playbook to my PC.  For troubleshooting, I have done the following:

I have turned off WiFi when USB connecting (doesn't work)

I have tried to access through WiFi (doesn't work)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled BBDM, including wiping the registry clean in between manually and following it up with a CCleaner scrub and then rebooting before reinstalling (doesn't work).

I have done a full security wipe of my Playbook (doesn't work)

I have tried different USB cables (doesn't work)

I checked networking for issues there (doesn't even show up on my system even though BB Helper shows it as conected)

I have tried to log into it through the USB IPv4 address (doesn't work)

It seems like nothing I possibly do works here.

Add to this the fact that I can access internet and update the OS online, but when I try to connect to BBDM, it is constantly trying to update the OS - which I've also tried (doesn't work).  In fact, when DM is used to update, I still get a message from my tablet telling me there is an additional 10MB file to update.

Seriously folks - I'm not a tech luddite - I know my way around computers and systems, and I try to support RIM as much as possible (Iooking forward to BB10), but this is driving me ape**bleep** to be honest (pardon my language).  Someone tell me I was just an unlucky SOB who got a bad model and must go back to the shop where I bought it and exchange it for one that works...or provide me with a solution to this problem as I've surfed everywhere and tried everything (including things not listed here probably - things I've forgotten to add I'm sure) and nothing is helping me connect.

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

Re: Playbook Not Connecting to Laptop

[ Edited ]

Are you using Windows 7 or 8 on your PC?  If so, it is a known problem and the solutions have already been provided elsewhere in the forum.  Please let us know what operating system you are using.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
New Contributor

Hey Enygma,

Sorry for the lack of system info - I'm usually better than that.  Just frustrated and forgot to include it.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32Bit

Blackberry Playbook is 64GB.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

Ok, try the following thread that deals with your situation:

Solution for connecting PlayBook to Windows 7 PC

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
New Contributor

Thanks Enigma,

I went and checked out the link, but...

One problem that was discovered is that there may be a conflict with my Cisco anyconnect VPN client.  When I went through Device Manager on the computer, I found the conflict and resolved it.  This morning, I was connected and things were working well.  I was even charging my Playbook...

And THAT seems to be the rub.

Having come to the office now I have tried to connect my Playbook to my laptop but none of the USB ports seem to be powering it, which has resulted in me concluding that there will be no connection to my Playbook until I get a new laptop that can power it.

Unfortunately WiFi transfers don't work either - for some reason I cannot detect my Playbook on my network (not sure if this is related to Homegroups or not) and I cannot access it through the IPv4 it has when linked to my Wireless Router.

*sigh*  Guess it's time to buy a new laptop...

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Don't get a new laptop on that basis. OS2 will not allow charging from a computer USB socket. I have a very expensive macbook that will not charge playbook.

I'm just kidding about that  - but my laptop is about five years old now so it's time for me to get a new toy. :-)

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present

A real good investment would be the Quick Desktop Charger for the PB..charges in a very short time..next bet is the supplied wall charger..usb to usb does not work at all

Gene
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

RobDahling wrote:

I'm just kidding about that  - but my laptop is about five years old now so it's time for me to get a new toy. :-)

OT:. Get a non-retina old style macbook pro with a proper spinning 1TB hard drive while they still make them. 

I have the wall charger that I usually rely on, but if transferring files to my Playbook is restricted by having a USB connection to my PC that allows me to charge, I'm kinda boned for quick and efficient file transfers.  Such is life I guess.

As for the Macs - sorry, I'm a PC person.  As much as I like that Macs are powered by their owners smug sense of superiority at owning a Mac (I kid, I kid), I'm not doing things that require a Mac-specific superiority (no extensive video or photo editing) - in fact, I'm a gamer, so my next system will probably be an Alienware again (I miss my old Alienware). Smiley Very Happy