Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Playbook OS 2.2 - forget about BB10 on Playbook

All right, let's move on.

As a developer and consumer of the Playbook, here's what I think it should be done in order to make the devices usefull for a couple more years. Maybe it will even ease the feeling of many loyal consumers:

1 - Fix all open Critical Bugs of Tablet OS

And if you have time, all the Major ones as well. Fixing those will already be a big improvement. And probably many of the bugs are already fixed in some later build of Tablet OS but it was just not realeased yet.

2 - Update to Adobe Air 3.5 with Stage3D

BB10 will have it so probably it's not that hard to port it to the Playbook as well, right? Stage3D was Adobe's last push for their dying technology and it was the right one. It enabled many new possibilites for developers resulting in great apps for consumers. This would also improve the whole OS in general since many native apps are done using Adobe AIR (keyboard, calendar, contacts, etc).

3 - Android 4.2

Sideloading Android apps might just be the saving thing for the tablet. People are already used to it. The apps work really well. BB10 already has it so, as with Adobe AIR, it shouldn't be that hard to port it too. Afterall, both are QNX based OSs and even the hardware of some models are very similar (TI's OMAP 4 with PowerVR SGX540).

4 - BB10's WebKit

Again, this is something which is already working and it couldn't be so hard to port either. Am I wrong or updating the WebKit version would also improve all other apps that use a Webview (Browser, Mail App, etc) and all Webworks Apps? That would be just fenomenal.

5 - Improve Multi Media and Wireless communication support

The Playbook is fantastic for multi media comsumption! The stereo front speakers and the 16:9 screen native landscape are THE sweetest combination for it. But the current supported formats are very limited. Just add native support for all formats/codecs - like MKV, OGG, FLAC - that are already available on BB10. And finally adding DLNA and Miracast support so we can easily enjoy all this media on the big gear without hastle. DLNA is already present and Miracast is on the way for BB10.

That's it. Just fix what is currently badly broken, upgrade the runtimes and add some extras. Most of it is already implemented so you guys already have the knowhow. 

It would be too frustrating to see this amazing tablet die without a last fight.

Give it a shot!

Cheers.

Cheers!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Playbook OS 2.2 - forget about BB10 on Playbook

100% behind you. Not sure it comes under "contunue to support under current platform"

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

That is the least they should do. Heins owes us a real statement, because with the only statement he made, everything for the Playbook is dropped. No new apps, bridge never fixed, no real hub, no BBM .... What do I do with the movies I got on my playbook? Blood boiling!
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900; Playbook 32GB Wifi
My Carrier: T-Mobile

You're forgetting features that should have always been included.

• Full Bridge for BB10 devices.
  • Native BBM
  • Equalizer for media player
  • Browser bookmark organization
  • Option to disable backlight timeout 

I'm sure there are others, but those are the most important for me...

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, PB 16G
My Carrier: Att

I would be surprised if we ever see anything for PB in the future Thor is nothing more than a lier 

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Or just give us some unlock codes, so we can put Android on the device, and move on. ;-)

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

to side load app's use the development mode

http://crackberry.com/sideloading-made-easy-playbook-app-manager-browser-plugin

or

but go to this site

http://bb10bars.net/index.php/sideloading-guide/

This method will keep the PB around for a long time, I just wish BB was a bit more agressive with doing sideloading themselves.

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

It may help extend playbooks life if they upgraded us to jelly bean or better, but being stuck on android 2 the number of good sideloads available will drop. Also things like Skype remain useless for video chats.

I seriously doubt that a new android player is going to come.

By the way your second link is for bb10 phones, have you tested it on playbooks?

My Device: Z10

6. NDK with Cascades with UI components
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

I meant unlock to put an actual full on copy of Android on there, and just forget about the defunct BB tablet OS. If BlackBerry has no intention of getting back into the tablet space, it'd be nice to be able to develop using the device still - for Android. The full Android, with the Android Native SDK and the whole thing (currently anything built using the NDK will not work on Playbook).

I'm not asking for BlackBerry to do an actual full Android port. I got my Playbook for free, and I'm thankful for it. I'm asking for BlackBerry to simply unlock it, so we can install Android on it (assuming a port would be attempted by those in the community who could), since that seems relatively easy, compared with updating the OS.

Allowing Android NDK apps in the Android layer would also be pretty cool, though I imagine that's more work than they are willing to undertake.