Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sasktel

Re: Playbook OS2 and Encrypted Wifi Issues

i upgraded the the os and it worked fine until today.  i couldn't reconnect to the hotspot i was at so i waited until i got home and nothing.  what is a "security swipe"?

New Contributor
My Carrier: Sasktel

ok, wierd.  i turned it off and back on and it works.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 and Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

I got all excited when I saw so many messages posted in the last 12 hours, but sadly none are a resolution! I have emailed tech support and told them that I can't call Smiley Sad
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: None

security wipe is the term used reset Playbook to factory defaults. Here are the steps I found: http://bit.ly/zAGYuF

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

No, Security Wipe does not set Playbook to factory settings. It just results in a clean reinstall of OS 2 .

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: None

I stand corrected. This is the link to reset Playbook to factory defaults: http://bit.ly/w0lENN

Here the reset is done using the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Gentlemen and Ladies,
To use you obviously need a good wifi signal. If you can connect at an open wifi hotshot, then the PlayBook wifi is working. If it is working on an open signal but not at home on a locked, protected wifi signal, the likely problem is you have the router settings incorrect. Router settings can be confusing. Try setting your router up to either WPA or WPA2 and a data encryption of AES. If these make no sense,you have lots of company. Check them out at Wikipedia.
If you have managed to download OS2 (417 mb) and install it successfully, congratulations. If after upgrading to OS2, you are having problems, try a reset. To reset, hold the power button, and both volume buttons down at the same time for 15 seconds. Release the buttons and the PlayBook will reset (similar to control, alt, delete on a regular computer). Give it a minute reset and then hold the power button down for about 4 seconds until the red light flashes on. Release the button and allow the PB restart about one minute.
Doing a security wipe will delete all the files from the PlayBook and you will have to reinstall everything from scratch.
Check these details out and report back as to your success or failure.
New Contributor

Factory reset is a hot and miss as a solution. I did 7 factory reset , nothing works, so I got an RMA ,

One thing I can tell you is that of the factory reset doesn't fix wifi connectivity , the setup will not be considered complete by both Desktop Software and the PB itself and , like me, at that point, you have NO PB, its groundHog Day on the WIFI page and unlike Bill Murray you don't get to see all the PB had , everything is gone but the wifi screen.

Now, some people have fixed WIFI by power down , other by factory reset . so it mght work for you .

Visitor
My Device: PB and Torch

I agree this is a little disappointing and hope RIM releases a fix for easier use. 

I have had the same problems.

Works great at home with WPA wifi

At the hotel, Holiday Inn

Recognizes the wifi at the hotel and connects.  On the wifi screen I get a green signal but flip to the web and notice on home screen its grey with an asterisk.  Know the HI has a terms and conditions page but can't get there as it won't connect.  Go back to wifi screen and its green with a hotspot login, press this and a "hotspot" page comes on and says that my blackberry device is now connected.  I can surf for a few minutes but freezes and connectivity is lost.  Very frustrating and was never able to resolve.

Yesterday on the flight back home, tried gogoinflight.  Started off the same where it recognizes and tried to log on but could not get signin screen.  message said your bb smart phone could not connect....  Did as someone else suggested and cut off Bluetooth to eliminate it trying to go through phone.  This worked for gogoinflight but will need to check if it will work at the hotel.  Glad I'm back at home where it works but no access to the us video store Smiley Sad.  Hope these ideas help a little as no way I want to do a swipe......

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Any hotels I have used gave me the password for their wifi system. When logging in, I had to go through their login page before I could actually download mail or surf. But once past their login page I had no problem with the PB only.
Airports are similar but have problems at some airports. On planes, some airlines permit it some don't. My airline does not allow it.