Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Playbook Screen Brightness Issue

I had a problem with my brightness. I found that in the Kobo Reader, there is a brightness setting and if it is set to a bright screen, I had the feeling that is was over riding the PB screen brightness setting. After I turned the Kobo Setting down, the problem seemed to vanish.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin

I have been having issues with the screen brightness since I updated the OS.  In fact |I am now on a replacement and it is dong the same thing.  The brightness slider dims out and won't move, and the screen is too bright.  Quite frustrating and a problem the Rim needs to address.  It is so intermittent it is hard to check.  I'll check the Kobo reader.  We had our original unit for almost three months and had no problems until we updated to OS 2.  I am hoping someone has a solution.

Forums Veteran I

I would be interested in your Kobo answer. As I said above, I had the problem prior to OS2, it definitely changed when I set the Kobo reader to the lowest setting and it has not been a problem in OS2. Now I usually keep my brightness setting to around 20% which I find acceptable.

New Contributor

I had earlier today increased the brightness with the kobo reader.  I just tried turning the kobo brightness down and it did not correct the problem right away but when I turned the unit off and then on again the slider was working.  I'll try it more tomorrow but I am almost afraid to change it since I have it where I want it now.  With my earlier unit it got so I could not adjust it except occasionally.  Direct support had me try everything but the effect was only temporary.  Give me a day or two to try it out and I'll post a reply.  Thanks.

Forums Veteran I

Here is another tip I find helpful and you actually mentioned it yourself. Whenever you have a problem and make a change, I suggest you do a restart on your PB. I think this is similar to computers. You update files or programs and it says you must restart for the changes to take place. I'm thinking the PB may be the same.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16G
My Carrier: BB

Finally, I got my PB replaced. The brightness issue was persistent and tried everything but nothing worked. 

The new PB is updated with OS2 and I dont have the brightness problem any more. 

New Contributor

I thought my issue was fixed with the replacement until yesterrday but now it is back.  Do you use the Kobo reader much?  Will be curious to see if your problem returns.  Good luck.

Forums Veteran I

I was using Kobo quite a bit but not so much now. When I was finished reading for the day I would turn the Kobo screen brightness down and I had no problem afterwards. I have not used Kobo much after the upgrade to OS2. Remember that your screen will change automatically if you are in a bright room such as on a sunny day..

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Are any of you experiencing this in very bright light/sunlight? If so, it increases brightness automatically to increase readability of the screen. If you block the light sensor (cover the LED) you should see the display dim and you'll regain control of the brightness slider. Of course once you uncover it, the display will return to full brightness.

Even with auto-dim on/off this still seems to occur. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but I like it this way. That way the screen stays readable in bright light without having to mess with settings.

New Contributor

This happens without reference to the light level in the room.  We have turned off the auto dim but sometimes in a dim room it will suddenly go bright for no reason.  Our new unit is much better than the old, but we have the slider grayed out without any reason occasionally.  Since this is the second unit to do this I think it must be a bug.  Frustrating though if you want to be able to set the level you want, not what the playbook wants.

Kobo seems to be connected but not always.  It would be nice if Rim had some idea why this happens.  I generally have been happy with the Playbook but every so often....