Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Various
My Carrier: Various
Accepted Solution

Playbook Update problem

OK, So I've got this Blackberry Playbook. Which I really like. Well I did really like it. Upgraded to OS2... no problem. Like it even more. Then, yesterday, I linked to the Blackberry Desktop Software (by USB cable BTW) and it told me that there is a new update  2 version 2.0.1 Bundle 358.

Ok, keep the thing up top date... there might even be some useful upgrades (like USB OTG for instance... HINT!!!).

I click the upgrade button and off it goes to do its stuff. Trouble is that I'm now sitting looking at a message that says "Please wait while your Blackberry Tablet OS is updated... During these steps do not disconnect your tablet or interrupt this process as it could make your tablet unusable". So what? that's normal isn't it... Not for 18 hours it's not!!!

In essence, the whole process seems to have stalled at the point where the update is saying "Installing sys.data.imf.fr_FR"...

So, what do I do now. If I disconnect it, I'm going to screw up the Playbook irretrievably (or at least so both the update software and the table say).

Anyone know if:-

a) there's a way out of this that won't totally screw everything up or

b) Is there a support number that I can call where someone (preferably a human being that I can talk to) will tell me what gives and the best way out of it.

At present, I'm sitting looking at a desktop I can't use and a Playbook that's little more than an expensive doorstop.

Since this is the second Playbook that's let me down and since there appears to be a total lack of any meaningful support from RIM, I'm beginning to wonder if my suppport for Blackberry is warranted. A shame, really, because I love the products when they work right!

Rob

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Playbook Update problem

[ Edited ]

Old Geezer,
Try the three button reset. Hold down the Power Button and both volume buttons at the same time for 15 seconds. Wait 1 minute then hold the power button only until the red light flashes then release it.It will reboot in about 4 minutes. Report back. 

New Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply...

Tried the reset and the playbook has come back to life as though nothing had happened... sadly stll with the old OS. I'll try the update again and let you know what happens...

Thanks again

Rob F

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

You shouldn't have to do it with DM. If you go into settings and then software updates, hit check for updates. You can download the update OTA, no computer needed. And you can still use your PlayBook while it downloads in the background. 

New Contributor

Hi, yes, I did know that I could update direct but I thought that doing it through wired connections would be safer... doh!

Eventually ignored all the warnings and killed the update. PB booted again as though nothing had happened. The only problem was that, when I tried to rerun the update routine, it jumped back into the original failed update routine. Finally got round that one by completely restarting the whole process on another computer...illogical I know but it worked. The only remaining problem is that the original update process is sitting unfinished on the top bar of the screen, apparently waiting to complete the update. Haven't worked out how to get rid of that one yet. Any ideas?

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Rob

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Do the three button reset again. This should eliminate the unfinished business.
New Contributor

OK that did it... all back to normal now.

Many tyhanks to all for the support.

Rob

My Device: PlayBook 64gb
My Carrier: Movistar

Hello,

My problem after updating playbook through desktop manager was that my playbook was formatted. Everything was as first day. I lost all data (I have everything on my pc so that's not a big deal), but I also lost apps and games I've bought. When it was resetting I created a new user because I didn't remember the exact password of the previous, was this the reason for loosing everything?
Thanks for any help you might provide. 

Franco 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Update using wifi and "software updates" will update without losing data.

Updating with USB will usually wipe everything. 

There should be a big red warning but as far as I know there isn't one.

I keep the usb cable locked in a drawer. 

My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Eastlink

I had the same problem when I tried to update with my Playbook linked to my computer.  Thanks for the suggestion - worked like a charm when I updated using WIFI.