Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackbery Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Playbook Wont Charge

Regardless of how long i put the playbook to charge for the battery level wont go above 0%. what can i do?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Playbook Wont Charge

which charger are you using ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

The one that came with the playbook...
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16G
My Carrier: none

Hi,

Have a look at KB 26708, you can find it at www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26708

When the battery level of the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ reaches a level 0%, the tablet will automatically turn off.
This is because the BlackBerry PlayBook battery does not have enough charge to power up the tablet.

It is recommended to connect the BlackBerry PlayBook to the Rapid Wall Charger that came with your BlackBerry PlayBook, or one of the charging accessories listed:

* BlackBerry PlayBook Rapid Charging Pod
    * BlackBerry Rapid Travel Charger
    * BlackBerry Premium Charger

Please leave BlackBerry PlayBook plugged in for approximately 40 minutes or until full charge is achieved.  Connecting to a computer to charge via USB will not be sufficient to charge the tablet.

PLEASE NOTE: You may have to connect and disconnect the PlayBook from its charging source several times to achieve a high enough initial charge. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Manucha

New Contributor

Tried it, no luck... Any other suggestions?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

While it wouldn't actually fix anything, running my Battery Guru app (see my signature) would let you see the actual voltage levels (which should vary between about 3.4V and 4.2V), as well as some other data which may help you understand what's going on.

If you're getting the expected battery life, however, and don't have any sign of anything wrong other than your battery level percentage, your best bet is to contact RIM, tell them what you've tried and that as near as you can tell the software is just not recalibrating itself properly, and then sit back and wait for an update that will improve the software. (I'd say just sit back, but presumably the more people report issues the sooner the code will get improved.)

You're not the only one with issues, though I know of nobody else with exactly the same issue. Some of my users' tablets shut off at 65%, others go between 7 and 95%, others are stuck at 100%. So far it looks like most of those are just because of flaky software involved in calculating the display value, not real problems.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor

Actually the playbook isnt holding its charge... After disconnected from the charger it powers off in 1 to 2 minutes.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Chances are it's not actually getting any power then. Some people with flaky cables or connectors seem to have it recognizing their charger, but not actually charging. In Battery Guru it will show "Charger type: USB WALL" (for example), but the charging power shows as 0.0 W. It seems it can communicate with the charge to identify it, but not get any current.

By the way, if that's what's happening, repeated attempts may be slowly driving the voltage lower and lower, risking permanent damage to the batteries.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!