Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g (use this every day still), 2-z10's, Passport
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Playbook and movies

I hear this site is good.  I tried just the start of a movie and it worked.  My son goes to school in the US and this is what the kids use.

Let me know what you think

My Device: 8350, 9650, Paybook
My Carrier: Virgin, Verizon

Technical data on supported media files is available in a handout from Blackberry.

I use the free version of Any Video Converter to convert HD cable broadcasts that I have recorded on the hard drive using Haupage HDPVR. These file have no DRM and convert well to MP4 with 1024x576 frame size. Some things to keep in mind when converting:

1. Don't use more video bit rate than the material warrants. Even super quality demanding material does well at 2000. The typical TV show can make do with half of that.

2. If sound matters in the video, put the audio bit rate up. Most programs default to 128 bit, which is not suitable for music. Extra bits on the sound will not increase the file size as much as getting carried away with video bit rate.

3. Conversion takes some patience. AVC does my files only a bit faster than real time.

4. If you have latest BB desktop software. You can copy the viles into the video folder on the Playbook over USB cable.

In addition to video, Playbook is a great MP3 player. Unfortunately does not do FLAC. But will produce great sound from high quality mp3 files if you use good ear buds (recommend Sure 310). There are no sound controls. Doesn't need them.

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: att

Not being able to go to netflix and stream movies really suck. Kindle fires are doing this great. is blackberry trying to get netflix to allow streaming???

My Device: 80564365
My Carrier: 80564365

I have encountered similar problems, but rely on this software, problem is solved:

New Contributor
My Device: bxbxdf
My Carrier: vdfzz

the current Blackberry Playbook will support: H.264, MPEG4, WMV, DivX. So to watch the iTunes m4v movies on Blackberry Playbook, you should switch M4V to MP4 , so google search one m4v converter for you :https://www.google.com/#hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=strict&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=http:%2F%...

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64
My Carrier: AT&T

inlondon wrote:

thanks for the responses!  Very helpful

I downloaded handbrake in the end and it works perfectly for my home vids, but it won't let me convert an .M4v file which I downloaded from iTunes.

The error says "No Title(s) Found

Your Source may be copy protected, badly mastered, or in a format which Handbrake does not support"

Does that sound right?  I can't find anythng in their help files

Try this http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/index.htm

It is a free collection of converters, including for Mobiles.  In that is a converter to Blackberry models including the Playbook.  I have used it and it works perfectly.  I convert to my PC and then copy to the PB if I want it installed or just stream the converted MP4 file from the folder on the PC.

Note: Be sure you watch for toolbar and search engine offers during installation.  No problem with declining during installation on the PC and everthing works well.

Hope this helps.